The day before

In your eyes I see forever
Makes me wish that my life never knew
The day before you
Heaven knows those years without you
Shaping my heart for the that day I found you
You're the reason for all that I've been through
And I'm thankful for the day before you.

Now you're here and everything's changing
Suddenly life means so much
I can't wait to wake up tomorrow
And find out this promise is true
I will never have to go back to
The day before you.

Okay, it's cheesy. It's a country song. Doesn't quite qualify as canonized poetry. BUT, nevertheless, I distinctly remember this song because it perfectly describes a moment I've only experienced twice in my life.

The first time was the day before I met Trent. I can remember the moment perfectly. I was, of all things, working out at the gym, and this song came on my MP3 player. I paused in the middle of whatever weight routine I was doing and listened to the whole thing. It might sound crazy, but honestly, I had a feeling that my whole life was about to change. It's a bit of a cliche to have the soundtrack of your future life be a country song, but still. It captured a moment for me. I stopped and realized that this man I was going to go on a date with could quite possibly change everything.

And he did.

The second time I've experienced this moment, which really I can only articulate as "My whole life is about to be different" has been today. It's actually washing over me in waves. As I sit here typing this on my laptop in my house, surrounded open windows that frame the verdant trees and lush green that typifies Upstate this time of year, I'm feeling that feeling.

This isn't a scary feeling. It's actually wonderful. It's thrilling. It's comforting. It's also hard to articulate...but haven't you felt it before? I've discovered that there's a gentle quiet that comes right before something life altering occurs. It feels like a gift, really, to pause and think of my life up to this point and be filled with gratitude for all that I've experienced that has brought me to this point.

After tomorrow, things will never, ever be the same.

I can't wait.

Comments

Anaise said…
So maybe you're having a baby today!?!!?!

Thrilling, joyous, wonderful, beautiful . . .
Sara Boulter said…
I can't wait either Lizzy. Your words brought tears to my eyes, remembering Oliver's birth day. There aren't words to describe that moment...seeing YOUR child for the first time. Nothing can compare.
God and his angels will be with you as she enters this world, I know it. You have all the strength to get her here. And hooray for you for surviving pregnancy!
I am so happy for you and Trent. You are perfect parents for sweet Lily. See you THREE in a couple weeks.
Camille said…
oh I'm all teary... I'm so happy for you. I feel so thankful that you get to experience this and share in the joy of being parents. It's hard work, but honestly it's the greatest blessing in my life hands down.

Except when payless shoe source has a sale.

Just kidding.

I'm so excited for you and I can't wait to hear!!
Dangcutekids said…
I'm crying too, I can't wait for you to hold this little sweetheart finally and feel her breath on your cheek and have her hold Trent's finger. That first little scream will change everything for the better. We're praying for you both.
. said…
Oh, Liz. What a beautiful post. I love that you have the blessing of maturity to see this experience for what it truly is...a miracle like none other. This is the most wonderful time in your life. I'm so glad you are appreciating it and enjoying it! The hours are counting down! I can't wait to see that beautiful baby girl! I'm so so so so happy for you.
AD said…
Lucky, lucky you.

I would go back to that moment in a heartbeat. There is nothing like being a first-time mom. Except maybe being a second-time mom. Or a third-time mom. Or a fourth. You get the picture.

BASK in these days!!