Books, books, books

With a little extra time on my hands, I've been the blessed beneficiary of lots reading time. Thought I'd share a few recommendations in case you're looking for something to read, or if you've already read them, then we can discuss them. See how the fun with books really never stops?

Okay, I know everyone in the world is reading this right now. I've got to begin my review by explaining my history with this saga (why is it a "saga" and not a "series"?). Hunker down, because this review is going to take a minute. I read Twilight on my honeymoon. I know, weird choice of a book, but it was good times swaying in the hammock on the shores of the Carribean Ocean reading all about Bella and Edward. About 150 pages in, my astute and literate husband started yelling at Bella about how whiny she is. Without his keen insight, I perhaps would have gotten caught up in the romance of it all, but I could not deny that Bella is a bit of a whiny-butt, yes?


So, Trent hates Bella, and stopped reading the books, but I persevered; however, gradually, I grew less enchanted with the books, especially after recommending them to my neice and finding out they made her feel yucky (Can't say I blame her. Eclipse does get pretty steamy. Memo to me: don't ever recommend this book again to a 12 year old). I also found myself really tiring of Meyers' writing style. I'm all for the high dramatics of gothic literature, but it wears after awhile; moreover, her writing just feels...immature. Even Meyer herself has admitted that she's more of a storyteller than a writer, so hopefully my commentary in that regard isn't too offensive.


That's my background on this saga. Heading in to Breaking Dawn, I honestly felt like the whole storyline just had too much drama, an immature writing style, and a seriously whiny protagonist. It all really began to grate after awhile. Also, it bugged me that so many young girls could read these books and think that such obsessive romantic love is the only thing worth living or aiming for. Sooo, I had no plans to read Breaking Dawn. But my sister Camille called and told me she'd bought it at the Wal-Mart for $13 bucks, and since I've got time to burn, I went for it. I took my time reading it and I even read as many critical reviews as I could to prepare myself for it.
Bottom line? My favorite in the series (er, saga, that is), hands down.

I do think my reading of the critical reviews definitely influenced how I felt about it. I've always thought these books were fun and entertaining (but somewhat shallow) reads. Not that everything has to be Charles Dickens, mind you, but I really couldn't find the lasting message or theme in the books, and it bugged me. An article in Time Magazine, however, talked about how Meyer's faith influenced her writing (I was like, "HUH? Really??" so I kept reading with rapt attention). The critic suggests that the draw in Meyer's stories stems from what he called the "erotics of abstinence," explaining that the power in the story came from characters like Edward who, in the face of great temptation and his own natural tendencies, still exercise the power of choice (translation: agency). We are mesmerized by him because of his ability to keep those natural inclinations in control in favor of a higher principle.

Oooh, now this is something I can really sink my teeth into. In fact, I down right admire that. I read Breaking Dawn through that perspective, and found it very satisfying. I like how the Cullens exercise restraint, also, I like how by doing so they are more free to enjoy a fuller life rather than being slaves to their appetites and passions.

Another thing that helped me enjoy this book: Bella becomes the strong female protagonist I've always wanted her to be. Instead of being whiny, she comes across as sassy and strong.

Finally, what pregnant woman can't appreciate a book about a Mother's love? I loved Bella for it, and that made me love the book.



Such a fun, interesting and unique read! I really don't know how to explain it, because it's a book that covers so many different issues and topics. Since I spend so much time on my Breaking Dawn review, I'll just keep this one short. Read it. It's interesting, funny, thought-provoking, and worth your time. And, now I know the value of economics and what the heck economists do (because I really didn't know before). Amen.


Have you ever read any Bill Bryson? He's pretty funny. This book is a compilation of newspaper columns he wrote upon returning to the States after spending 20 years in Great Britain. Some columns are better than others, but I truly laughed out loud so many times I lost count. Bryson points out the funny and the endearing and the strange and the weird that encapsulate life in the United States.

Remember the horrific shooting of 10 little girls at an Amish school back in 2006? This is a non-fiction book that uses that shooting (without going into graphic details that could be very upsetting) as a springboard to explain the Amish people, particularly their remarkable ability to forgive and show great love and compassion in the face of extreme tragedy. Not only is this book proving to be incredibly illuminating in regard to understanding the Amish faith (wow, I really admire them) but also in how it shows the benefit and blessing of learning to forgive and let go. It's truly a worthwhile read.

This one has been recommended to me several times through out the past couple of years, but I didn't pick it up until about a month ago. It's really interesting with so many plot twists and turns that you can never guess the ending. The book is told from multiple points of view and centers on a family whose oldest daughter has a rare form of leukemia. In order to keep her alive, they have a second daughter who can donate her blood, marrow, etc., as an exact match. While everyone's intents are initially altrustic, obviously they don't fully consider the consequences of having a child whose express purpose in life is to be a donor for her sister. When this second daughter gets old enough that she really doesn't want to be used or seen just for the value of her blood or her organs, she chooses to fight for medical emancipation from her family, even though that puts the life of her sister (whom she truly loves) at risk.


The book includes lots of ethical and moral questions that are worth thinking about; additionally, it's a great read in terms of pace and storytelling.

Comments

Carla said…
Great review of "Breaking Dawn". I felt the same way about Bella, in fact I barely made it thru the 3rd book, I wanted to strangle her! I agree, this was the best one of the saga!
I read "My Sister's Keeper" about a year ago. It was a good book, very thought-provoking and all that good stuff, although I hated the ending.
I'll have to pick up the others you recommended, I love a good book!
. said…
ooooh, fun to have some new books to add to my Goodreads list! Thanks, Lizzy! I have to say, though, you still did not convince me that Breaking Dawn is worth reading. One time I had some time on my hands and pulled out Eclipse and within two pages I threw it across the room. I just can't do it! I appreciate your points, though. I hadn't thought about the "erotics of abstinence" aspect of the books. Interesting. In the end, though, Meyer is just a little too clunky for my taste.
Kandis said…
Someone else I know recommended Freakonomics so maybe I'll check it out! I'm so sorry that the baby is still MIA! At least you have time to cram in some reading though because I hear babies can be quite time consuming and you probably won't be able to read much once she's here.
Camille said…
Lizzie, yer so smart! I want to read that Amish book. I'm sorry baby Lily doesn't wanna come. it's because you're soooo yummy and she is so comfortable. She's just havin' the time of her life! I love you.


ps... I'm totally laughing 'cause I didn't mean to do a book blog post the same time as you! woops!
julie g said…
hey liz, it's julie. maybe i'll read breaking dawn now, knowing how you feel about it. but, i might just forego it instead. but great reviews! i'll send a few recommendations your way in a bit. thanks for the catch up. so fun!
AD said…
I am proud to say I am a Twilight saga fan and loved Breaking Dawn, freaky pregnancy and all. I think Meyers is a great storyteller and admire her candor about her writing ability. She has never tried to be anything she is not, and far be it from this aspiring writer who still dreams of finishing ANYTHING to criticize her. I loved your review and whole heartedly agree!
jensey said…
You know that I am not a reader....however, I have loved this entire saga start to finish. Read the 2-4 in one week each-now that's saying something for me! So, if you have any authors that aren't great writers, but good story tellers, let me know b/c apparently that's the ticket for me! I hope your babe comes soon for your sanity's sake...hange in there!wj
sue chappell said…
Hi Liz,

Remember me???? Amy Chappell's Mom? Well, she told me all about your great news and that your blog is on hers now, so I've been reading about you, your cute hubby and beautiful new little daughter! She also knows I LOVE books and I have loved your commentary on them- especially the Twilight SAGA! You perfectly described everything I feel about them and my reason for not being able to painstakingly struggle through another Meyer's book after reading Twlight. I kept telling my kids, I didn't know why I didn't like them, but you very succinctly said it all....especially the immature writing style. Anyway, I just had to let you know I agree with your critique and I am so thrilled you are now a mommy and wife! Dreams truly do come true! Best Wishes , Sue Chappell

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)