Do you speak New York?
Thought you might get a kick out of this real email correspondence Trent received from a partner at his firm. It's all real, I just omitted the name. Enjoy.
Trent, I really appreciate your assistance on this and other matters. Maybe it's a personal preference of mine, but would you please not use the "We are always happy to help" language when you work with me ... This shows up in many of your notes, and I've never seen it in the legal context previously. In my humble opinion, it sounds at the very least gratuitous, and even not terribly professional. Kind of grates, if you understand.
Thanks.
XXX
Trent's response (pretty funny, if you ask me. Fortunately, Mr. XXX thought so, too!)
Dear XXX:
I'll add that to my list of "Sayings XXX Hates":
1. "Yours Truly"
2. "We are always happy to help"
3. "ya'll" or "all ya'll"
4. "I don't work on weekends"
5. "Why don't you [client] come down to Rochester with XXX and I'll take you to the demolition derby.... it's got good eats."
:)
Bottom line: If you live in New England/Upstate NY area, please don't tell anyone that you're happy to help. Trent's also gotten a bit of feedback from a paralegal for saying "thanks for doing a great job" so you better not say that one, either.
Gotta love it.
Trent, I really appreciate your assistance on this and other matters. Maybe it's a personal preference of mine, but would you please not use the "We are always happy to help" language when you work with me ... This shows up in many of your notes, and I've never seen it in the legal context previously. In my humble opinion, it sounds at the very least gratuitous, and even not terribly professional. Kind of grates, if you understand.
Thanks.
XXX
Trent's response (pretty funny, if you ask me. Fortunately, Mr. XXX thought so, too!)
Dear XXX:
I'll add that to my list of "Sayings XXX Hates":
1. "Yours Truly"
2. "We are always happy to help"
3. "ya'll" or "all ya'll"
4. "I don't work on weekends"
5. "Why don't you [client] come down to Rochester with XXX and I'll take you to the demolition derby.... it's got good eats."
:)
Bottom line: If you live in New England/Upstate NY area, please don't tell anyone that you're happy to help. Trent's also gotten a bit of feedback from a paralegal for saying "thanks for doing a great job" so you better not say that one, either.
Gotta love it.
Comments
and trent, you're so cool.