Circling the wagons
Last night's FHE, taken with the self-timer at the piano.
The more I look at everyone's faces, the harder I laugh.
We had one of those weekends. One where, although nothing really was going wrong with us, it sorta felt like the rest of the world was falling apart. In the space of three days, I've had four phone calls where I've found out about friends or associates who are going through some of the worst things I can imagine. Trent has been working around the clock (I groggily remember him coming to bed sometime around 5:15 a.m. this morning). Friday night found me with 4 little ones running around my house (plus my own little bundle of joy) instead of a hot date. The mothers of these sweet children were busy putting out more fires.
And so, last night, Trent and I circled up our wagons. He came home from work early for dinner and a little Family Home Evening. Dinner wasn't extravagant and we haven't had a super-duper planned out wonderfully coordinated and fabulously executed FHE since we've been married. But, we have had one, once a week, since we said our "I Dos" almost 2 years ago.
Our Family Home Evenings usually consist of singing whatever song we can think of from primary at the top of our lungs. Sometimes we set goals. Somedays we talk about our relationship (my husband looooves that). But usually we just grab the Ensign or "The Proclamation on the Family" and we read a talk and then...we talk about it.
A song, a prayer, a talk. Somehow, this simple activity chased away all those hungry wolves who were howling at our door. A spirit of love and calm entered our home as we talked about spiritual things. Things that matter most to us. Things that remind us why we do what we do.
It only lasted an hour. Then back to work for him and back to life for me. It was the hour that made all the difference, though. And I loved it.

Comments
You guys are so great. Our FHEs last about 5 mins b/c the kids just can't help themselves, but at least we're doing it right? And setting patterns for the future, just like you are. You're sooo lovely.
xo
That is so sweet! What a great experience to remind you of what is important. It's amazing how far peace seems sometimes, and how quickly it can return. I loved your picture, too. I looks like Lillian was LOVING it! So awesome. Sorry I haven't called back yet. We were up in Draper at the temple open house--right by your old house! It was amazing, although Coleman started crying because he didn't like the decorating and he had waited his entire life to see the temple and was disappointed. Sad. How do you react to that as a parent??? Also, we are in the middle of car hunting and it has taken every second of my last few days. I'll try to call tomorrow! Love you, Steffani