About the bread


My sister Trish
(you miss her, don't you? and you miss her blog, don't you? I know, we all do)
has recently given me two things:

1. An amazing bread recipe with a passion to cook for my family in healthier ways.

2. A poem by Carol Lynn Pearson that perfectly articulates the power of doing so.

This is for you, my precious sister. Thank you.

B a k i n g B r e a d

There seemed more accusation
Than admiration in Vivian's voice
When she said,
"Well, I wish I had time To bake bread!"
And so sometimes when
The loaves were in the oven
And Vivian was at the door
Louise mumbled something about
Another bake sale again
And never even tried to explain
Her near-religious ritual:
How the flour on her fingers
Was the sun and the rain
And the earth
How the thump of her palms
On the dough
Was the dance of women
On the ancient threshing floor
How the smell of baking
Leavened her
And left her believing that
We rise, we rise
And
How the cutting
Of the first warm slice
For the first child home
Made her a bounteous goddess
With life in her hand.


Comments

gardnerfam said…
Hey Liz I need a good recipe. Could you send it to me. Love ya
Thanks
Anaise said…
Yes, I miss Trish
Yes, I miss her blog
Yes, I love making bread for my family
Yes, that poem is joy
Yes, your bread is lovely
Camille said…
Liz, what bread recipe is it??
jaimey said…
What a delightful poem. And a good lookin' loaf of bread, too!
AD said…
What a lovely poem. I have so enjoyed all of your posts recently but I'm trying to curb my computer time, so I won't always get a chance to comment. Just know that I always read and LOVE your posts. I've gone on a break making binge, too. Ever since Elder Bednar's talk about creating I have decided to create more---baking, gardening, sewing, writing, etc. It's been joyful.

And yes, I'd like to know the recipe, too. I've used Jen's and I'm guessing it's the same one...Post it! :)
. said…
You're so sweet, Liz. It WAS a great poem, wasn't it? Thanks for the love. By the way, I have more healthy recipes coming your way that my kids absolutely love...

Popular posts from this blog

In Singapore Now

For Thad

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...