A riddle

I never thought I had much in common with Sylvia Plath.

She's a poet, revered by historians for her work. She also stuck her head in an oven. Me, I don't foresee either of those things being a part of my life.

Nevertheless, I do, currently, have at least one thing that I share with Sylvia Plath. See if you can figure that out by reading her poem, "Metaphors."

150 Points to any who figures it out!

A hint: remember, a metaphor is something that represents or symbolizes something else. Plath uses more than nine different images to describe the same thing. Figure out one, you've figured out the answer!

Metaphors
I'm a riddle in nine syllables,
An elephant, a ponderous house,
A melon strolling on two tendrils.
O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
This loaf's big with its yeasty rising.
Money's new-minted in this fat purse.
I'm a means, a stage, a cow in calf.
I've eaten a bag of green apples,
Boarded the train there's no getting off.

Comments

Cade said…
You both like American Idol?
. said…
You're getting a cat?
Daddy-O said…
This is Rhyetta and I'm guessing you're pregnant.
AD said…
What a fun riddle. I can't really play along though...:)
Coleman said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steffani said…
Coleman didn't really say anything. He was logged in and I didn't know it! But, that is an awesome riddle. I love it. By the way, I'm a no go, if you know what I mean. Sadly, I won't be on the same train! Love you!
jweed said…
loved it, liz. i remember reading for the first time and, well, it makes so much more sense now. especially cause i'm on that train, too!
Anaise said…
When are you due?!?!?!
Anaise said…
PS--Did you know I'm due in November?

And are you as sick this time as you were the first?
Anne said…
Just promise me the Sylvia Plath comparisons end here! I spent an evening reading her stuff with a rather sensitive high school senior who has yet to recover.

Go you! Huzzah! Yeasty . . .
Emmie said…
Hooray!! We are so happy for you! (I never thought reading Sylvia Plath could bring me such joy!)
jaimey said…
Liz!!! I had a suspicion you may be a ponderous house for a while now . . . simply because when one stops blogging and is sick for longer than a few days, that's where my brain now goes. Call me a gal who just had a baby. :) I am so thrilled for you, Trent and Lillian! I need to know more details . . . due date, how you've been feeling, how this time has compared to last, how Lillian is reacting to the news, etc. etc. etc. But tell me when you have the energy. I surely hope you're nearing the second trimester . . . after enduring my third, I realized just how heavenly that second one was. :D Congratulations and big, giant hugs! Love you, you yeasty rising loaf of baby love. (Poor Sylvia Plath likely didn't intend her poetry to be paraphrased so poorly, eh?)
Camille said…
Love you! and can't wait to smooch on that wittle baby. AND I bet it's a boy-ee.

xo

Popular posts from this blog

In Singapore Now

For Thad

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...