Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)

Classic moment with my husband, the extrovert.
Let me tell you a little secret: I am an introvert.

Does that surprise you? It surprised me, too. I discovered this little nugget of extremely salient information one day when I was 47 weeks pregnant and Trent invited a family over for Sunday dinner and I burst into tears.

Follow the line of logic here from an extrovert's (TRENT) point of view: Liz is pregnant. She is sick of being pregnant. She needs to get her mind off of that. I will give her the GIFT of a lot of people here at the house playing games and laughing. We will enjoy their company. This will totally re-energize her. This will be great.

Now follow the line of logic from an introvert's (LIZ) point of view:  If there are all those people at the house I will have to entertain them. I will feel totally drained of any energy I have left since right now I don't have the energy to even smile. All I want to do is talk to Trent about the baby or read a book. This will be terrible.

Those are actual representations of what we were thinking on the fateful day we discovered a major difference in our personalities: Trent is the classic extrovert, gaining energy from being with others. I am the classic introvert, gaining energy from within.

Now, the above example begs that I address an issue that is a bit frustrating about being an introvert; namely, the inherent difficulty in explaining to certain extroverts that no, it isn't that you don't like people, and no, it isn't that you want to be a hermit by yourself on a deserted island with only your books and your poetry to protect you (although perhaps every introvert has felt that way, thank you for articulating it for us, Paul Simon). Actually, most introverts like people. They need people (and people who need people, Barbra Streisand once told me, are the luckiest people in the world). Rather, introverts just aren't energized by people and can be easily drained by large groups of people.

Lately I have noticed a trend that is a little alarming for the introvert in me. It seems that the blogging world is fading under the bright lights of Facebook and other such social networking sites. I entered the blogging world trepidatiously, yet now find that I totally relish in it. I love the writing outlet that it has become for me; moreover, I like the way it has enabled me to connect on a deep and personal level with so many friends and family members whose blogs I read on a daily basis. Somehow (and maybe this is paradoxical or even strange sounding) blogging totally energizes me.

Facebook, on the other hand, terrifies me. Can I just say that? There are many reasons why, but to cite a specific example: the Facebook status line just about kills me. I look at it and wonder: what can I say in one sentence that explains sufficiently what I am doing/thinking/feeling AND that I feel good about shooting out over the internet to 300+ aquaintences and whomever else may see the thread? Since I cannot ever come up with anything, mostly, I just stay silent.

Compare that feeling to the Facebook comings and goings of  two of my extrovert sisters. Their status lines on Facebook crack me up and entertain me and delight me on a daily basis. Those two girls thrive on Facebook. I have another sister who is an introvert and seems to be more like me on Facebook: she rarely posts her status, yet she comments from time to time on others' status.

What do you think? Are you an introvert, too, and find you are energized by the blogging world? Or are you an extrovert and find that Facebook gives you more access to more people more quickly, thereby energizing you? Or are you like my cousin AD who seems to excel at both? Is blogging fading and tweeting taking over? Because I don't...think...I...can...ever...tweet....

As I type this, Trent and I are sitting on our bed, typing away at our individual lap tops. When he saw I was blogging he said, "I'm glad you're keepin' the dream alive."

Yes, sir, I am.

Comments

Camille said…
I just logged on to check my facebook status... haaa just kidding... and I saw your post in my google reader. Do you know how happy and excited I get when I see your name and blog in my google reader? And trish's and Sara's too. It just makes me smile and I get all giddy to peek into your life. I love it because I get to see into your heart, and hear/read things you probably wouldn't tell me over the phone. I love blogging for this reason. I do facebook once in a while just for the status updates, mainly. I think they're pretty funny, too. (PS Am I one of those sisters you're talking about?). But I'll always be a bloggy blogger. I love the outlet it gives me and I love the people I've "met" and the people I can spy on.. I mean, keep in touch with.

and I love you most of all.
Cade said…
Hello I am an extrovert and love to see Facebook updates. Yet I NEVER post anything for the same reason you don't. There is another reason I don't post on FB. My grandfather would roll over in his grave if he saw how willing we are as a people to tell everyone what we are doing. With the blog, I control who gets the updates on my life. Your posts are fantastic the reader gleans so much more from your life than a simple status update. Thank you for "keeping the dream alive."
jweed said…
right there with ya, sister. yet another confirmation that we are, indeed, kindred introvert spirits. although, my blog has been suffering, not because i don't care, but because i am also a lazy introvert. :) how i wish you lived closer so that we could go on more "dates" like the one in ny. thank you sooooooo much for driving all by yourself to come and reconnect for an hour. it was so worth it. and, by the way, thanks for bringing back my keys. schwoo!
Steffani said…
Keep it alive! Isn't that sad that Facebook is winning? I love blogging for all the reasons you describe. One day we will have a book of our life and we will be so happy that we do. I don't even know what tweeting is and I've been on Facebook 2 times. Facebook has already caused enough drama in my neighborhood's (a girl complained about not being invited to lunch on facebook and it was through the ward in 2 seconds) and my family (who was that vegan, hiker, runner she was complaining about on facebook?) It's all so short and sly and ambiguous and I am scared of it too! I love you. Steffani
Anaise said…
I don't even have a Facebook account.

Introvert.

Quiet time.

Books.

Blogging.

Me.
Judy said…
Blogging makes g'mas (and aunties) happiest of all. How did we keep up on things before blogging!? Telephones, I guess. I hate telephones, always have. And writing letters--like pulling teeth. Blogging is a dream; PLEASE keep it alive.
Diane said…
Ditto Judy, ditto Judy, ditto Judy. How sad I am when I click on a blog week after week and find nothing new. I hate facebook, one little sentence and nothing else. Although I open facebook the little entries leave me empty and unsatisfied. Please sweet neices out there, don't settle for facebook. Use your amazing writing talents and BLOG.
AD said…
What a flattering and utterly undeserved shout out from you, Liz. I loved this post just like I love all of your posts. Your description of introverts and extroverts helps me understand something about Jon and me that I've never realized before. I'm definitely more energized with people and Jon tends to be more like you. Thanks for helping me see that difference in a new and positive light.

Like Camille, I'm always thrilled when your blog pops up in my Reader. (Speaking of which, we must help Ellen get a Reader. I hate the thought of her checking all of those unupdated blogs day after day!) I too prefer the blog posts over FB. But there never seems to be enough time to write more than a line or two, so I end up just resorting to FB. Unlike Cade, I really don't have anyone on my "friends" list that feel so much like strangers that I don't mind sharing what I'm thinking/doing/feeling. So it works okay for me. I do intend to blog more -- someday. I will admit that I feel a bit intimidated by the brilliance of so many bloggers, like you and Anaise, for example, and others. I'm not witty or clever enough to keep imy blog nteresting or worth reading, I'm afraid. I started out much more confidently than I am now. So FB feels less daunting, I admit.

Keep the dream alive!! :)

PS I must comment about the Toronto safari. We did love it even if it was all a bit strange. Some monkeys were ripping off car antennas when we were there. Crazy! But the whole thing overall was so fun. Glad you get to explotire out and explore so many interesting opportunities in your part of the world!
Dangcutekids said…
Ah Liz I feel your pain here. Thanks for sharing. You're so honest, and such a fabulous writer, and you always look so beautiful, even right after you deliver. For these reasons blogging suits you perfectly! You're inspiring, thanks for helping me define what intense introverts we are at my house. Do you get anxious and clammy just thinking about what to wear to church? Do you hurry and organize your house when the UPS man pulls into your driveway, and then send your son to answer the door? Must. Avoid. Contact. But when a conversation starts I make it work, and it usually turns out just fine. I'm rambling, thanks for listening if you're still reading this.
Cade said…
AD - Reader doesn't work for private blogs. Any ideas around it?
Karina said…
Crazy that I've been talking/learning all about introverts/extroverts all month long that I've been in Washington State.

I used to be an extrovert and am now an introvert that's getting worse the older I get. Not sure why I use the word "worse."
jaimey said…
Liz, I can completely relate to being an introvert who is energized by the blogging world. That is exactly how I feel about blogging. And I really hope Facebook and Twitter don't swallow blogs up.

I have several friends who tweet regularly, some introverts and some extroverts, and I'm not sure I'll ever get it. They have virtual communities going, though, so I suppose that may be the main draw--they're constantly commenting on each other's tweets, as if they're text messaging each other or having a virtual conversation.

Honestly, I think Twitter is a waste of time. And there are many days when I want to delete my Facebook account because I find myself thinking, "Why is this important in life?"

But then I end up keeping it because it keeps me connected to lots of friends who don't blog and who, I know, I'd lose contact with if we weren't on Facebook. Of course, that begs the question: are they really that close of friends, then, if all we really are is Facebook friends? Hmmm.

Either way, I will keep the blogging dream alive with you, Liz. I will. I love it too much. And for me, it feels much more meaningful to connect with my friends via our blogs than via Facebook or Twitter.

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad