Writing, and thinking, and goals
I read an article in the BYU Humanities Magazine several months ago which, among other worthy suggestions, stated that taking time to write every day was a most worthy endeavor. I don't know why I've stopped writing--there's a myriad of excuses and reasons--but I do know that ceasing to write has caused me to be a little more disconnected from others, and from myself.
I'd like to start writing again, and this blog seems a worthy place to do so. I'm in a place in my life where I have more questions than answers, and writing is perhaps, of all its many purposes, an excellent way for me to think, or to figure out what I think.
And so--my thoughts today center on new beginnings, and ways I can make this year a good one for myself and for my family. It has not been the easiest of weeks around our house. Freezing temperatures have held us hostage for many days, and while the thoughts of a glorious vacation to California is still hardly faded from my recent memory, the prospect of cold and more cold and more cold after that has grabbed hold on my heart once more.
The cold--what else can I blame it on?--appears to have grabbed hold of my children's hearts as well. Asher is fussy, prone to cry when he is typically far more prone to laugh; Lillian is in the mood to fight, she wants to win, she wants to be right, and this becomes prime ground for epic battles over almost everything essential, including clothes and food and tv watching and piano practicing. Sigh.
She is at school now, and Asher is napping, and I have a few precious quiet moments to myself to think about how we can be stronger than the icy wind that howls at our door, and how there can be warmth and sunshine in our home, even when there isn't any of which to speak outside.
So far, I'm thinking about filling Lillian's schedule with a few more activities, as she is a classic extrovert, she thrives on being with others. Also, I need to spend quality time with her each day. I need to structure positive activities, at least one per week, into our morning or evening routine. Asher seems easier--I can comfort him with snuggles, hugs, and trains, trains, and more trains.
I recognize that there are seasons to every life, and even this very demanding and hectic time is only a season. I feel today that I must be proactive in order to make the most of it, and not, when it comes to an end, "discover that I have not lived."
I'd like to start writing again, and this blog seems a worthy place to do so. I'm in a place in my life where I have more questions than answers, and writing is perhaps, of all its many purposes, an excellent way for me to think, or to figure out what I think.
And so--my thoughts today center on new beginnings, and ways I can make this year a good one for myself and for my family. It has not been the easiest of weeks around our house. Freezing temperatures have held us hostage for many days, and while the thoughts of a glorious vacation to California is still hardly faded from my recent memory, the prospect of cold and more cold and more cold after that has grabbed hold on my heart once more.
The cold--what else can I blame it on?--appears to have grabbed hold of my children's hearts as well. Asher is fussy, prone to cry when he is typically far more prone to laugh; Lillian is in the mood to fight, she wants to win, she wants to be right, and this becomes prime ground for epic battles over almost everything essential, including clothes and food and tv watching and piano practicing. Sigh.
She is at school now, and Asher is napping, and I have a few precious quiet moments to myself to think about how we can be stronger than the icy wind that howls at our door, and how there can be warmth and sunshine in our home, even when there isn't any of which to speak outside.
So far, I'm thinking about filling Lillian's schedule with a few more activities, as she is a classic extrovert, she thrives on being with others. Also, I need to spend quality time with her each day. I need to structure positive activities, at least one per week, into our morning or evening routine. Asher seems easier--I can comfort him with snuggles, hugs, and trains, trains, and more trains.
I recognize that there are seasons to every life, and even this very demanding and hectic time is only a season. I feel today that I must be proactive in order to make the most of it, and not, when it comes to an end, "discover that I have not lived."
![]() |
| Walden Pond, Fall 2013 |

Comments
Love your thoughts and your voice xoxo
I'm feeling this winter, too. Usually I am happiest at the darkest/coldest time of the year because it is now that my family belongs to me the most. However, the cold, cold, cold days (even with a fire and a good furnace) have sapped something from me that is usually fed this time of year. I, too, am searching for a way to find joy in the remaining days of winter.