The end of the Lord
There's a verse in James from which, particularly at certain points in my life, I've derived great comfort. It reads, "Behold, we count them happy which endure. Yes have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord, that The Lord is very pitiful and full of tender mercy."
The phrase in that verse that is most meaningful to me is "the end of the Lord." It only appears in the Bible twice. It seems to denote that moment when all is made right, or that moment when the end has come and we see how Divine Choreography played into the design and plan of our lives.
Furthermore, James seems to suggest that our part in waiting for "the end of the Lord" is to act with patience and faith. Ah, therein lies the challenge. There, in that thought, lies the agony of overcoming ones fears and learning to trust in a power mightier than oneself.
I have found myself in this place before, and I will find myself there again. And learning to place my fear and my hope and my will on the altar and willingly walk away, trusting in my belief that "the end of The Lord" will come together in my own life in a way that is best for me, is the place where I have metaphorically resided for the last several weeks.
Here's the reality: my body cannot bear another child. I have physically and mentally exhausted myself in an effort to learn that reality, an effort that exceeded at times what I thought was my capacity to face, and now have come to a place of quiet resignation.
It's not the sort of thing I'm sure I should write about, but I find that I must, to clarify how I feel, and to record it so that when time passes and perspective dawns, I'll remember this.
And so. The reality faced, I now grapple with the questions it creates. In the end, the truth is, I don't know the end yet. I haven't yet experienced "the end of the Lord" in this particular situation. But I have experienced it before, and I know this: He has dazzled me with the way He can make more out of my life than I ever hoped or dreamed. I trust Him.
I do.
The phrase in that verse that is most meaningful to me is "the end of the Lord." It only appears in the Bible twice. It seems to denote that moment when all is made right, or that moment when the end has come and we see how Divine Choreography played into the design and plan of our lives.
Furthermore, James seems to suggest that our part in waiting for "the end of the Lord" is to act with patience and faith. Ah, therein lies the challenge. There, in that thought, lies the agony of overcoming ones fears and learning to trust in a power mightier than oneself.
I have found myself in this place before, and I will find myself there again. And learning to place my fear and my hope and my will on the altar and willingly walk away, trusting in my belief that "the end of The Lord" will come together in my own life in a way that is best for me, is the place where I have metaphorically resided for the last several weeks.
Here's the reality: my body cannot bear another child. I have physically and mentally exhausted myself in an effort to learn that reality, an effort that exceeded at times what I thought was my capacity to face, and now have come to a place of quiet resignation.
It's not the sort of thing I'm sure I should write about, but I find that I must, to clarify how I feel, and to record it so that when time passes and perspective dawns, I'll remember this.
And so. The reality faced, I now grapple with the questions it creates. In the end, the truth is, I don't know the end yet. I haven't yet experienced "the end of the Lord" in this particular situation. But I have experienced it before, and I know this: He has dazzled me with the way He can make more out of my life than I ever hoped or dreamed. I trust Him.
I do.
Comments
Best of luck to you and your family. It makes us feel old to know that we are done having kids. Your kids are so beautiful, you have much to be grateful for.