Robin Family


Once upon a time, a nice family moved into a new house. This family loved to take care of their yard and they especially loved flowers. They loved flowers so much that they bought a big flower basket to place outside their front door so they could see them every time they walked outside.

One day, the lady in the family noticed a little bird coming and going, coming and going, coming and going, to the big flower basket. "Hmm," she thought, "I wonder if that little bird is trying to build a nest." and so she told her husband, "I think that we have a robin trying to build a nest in that flower basket."

"Let me check," said her husband.




Sure enough, there was a nest inside the basket of flowers! And what's more, there were 2 eggs inside the nest! "What will we do now?" asked the lady.

"Let's read about robin gestation online," suggested the man. "Okay," she said. And so they went inside and google searched it. They found out that those eggs were going to hatch in about 40 days, then the baby birds were going to need 3-4 days to learn how to fly.



So the lady and the man tried to be very careful as they walked in and out of their front door, so as to not disturb the babies that were growing and the Mama Robin that was sitting on her eggs, every day.



The man was happy, the lady was happy, and the robins were happy. It was a very happy house.

Comments

Camille said…
I think I need to move to NY because that's like the cutest thing ever. and so is trent. and so are you.
. said…
Aww, I bet that makes Trent so darn happy. Nice pics, by the way. Very cool!
Diane said…
Very cute story. Jake and Becky had a bird build a nest in a little front door arrangement they had. They couldn't even use the front door. But the girls loved it. Trent is adorable.
AD said…
we have some hummingbirds nesting just outside our window, so we can see them and their tiny eggs without disturbing them. the naturalist in me totally thrills at these things!

btw after having frankenstein on my list of to reads for years, i've finally begun reading it. your list of classics inspired me. i am loving it so far!!!
Ooh, AD, I'm so excited for you. That's one book that really gets you thinking, and it's so different than what it's been presented to be in pop culture (Frankenstein isn't even the name of the monster, just for starters). You'll absolutely have to tell me what you think when you're done. It's definitely one of my all time faves...and that was a huge surprise!

PS Robin Update to anyone who actually reads these: 3 eggs in the nest now, no end in sight, and the front door is definitely now off limits. Mama Robin is in control of the house!
Sara Boulter said…
Awww Lizzie. I like this. It lets me know your heart is not black and cold for you are not an animal hater after all.

Will you send me one of these birds when they hatch? Ya know, for my collection?

What will you name them?
I will send you a bird on the following conditions:
1. You do not let Pam eat it like she did your fish.
2. You read "Are you my Mother" to the little bird on a daily basis, letting him/her know you are not a "snort."
3. You understand that I STILL do not like animals but I feel compelled to be nice to the baby birds.
Kristy said…
Would I be a buzz kill if I post that we have Robins that build a nest every year, and we get SO excited for baby birds. We saw the eggs one day and the next day the whole nest was missing. It was later found on the roof of our covered patio-probably snatched by the Magpies. Sad, no baby robins for us this year. Maybe next spring we can put up a safe nesting spot like you have.

And Liz-I love how you narrate your stories-you are so cute.
liza said…
how sweet. we had a dove's nest near our garage. all of the eggs hatched and then one day a blasted crow came along and we watched it snatch one of the babies right out from under its parents eyes. it was so sad. we hate crows. the end

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)