Demolition Derby

Hemlock Fair: Demolition Derby. Reporting live at the scene: Liz and Trent

Materials Needed: One car that has been sitting in someone's front yard for 30 to 40 years; 279 bottles of spray paint to dedicate the car to "Dad" "Mom" and "Bubba"; A full gas tank conveniently placed in the back seat so as to avoid that explosion that'll take you to Jesus.

Rules: Don't hit the driver's side door.... but do what you can to hit EVERY other side of the car AND, for bonus points, do what you can to flip your car over because you WILL be the next hero of the show.

Cleanup Crew: No zambonis. Just your John Deere to pick up what's left of the old girl. We must say, the John Deere was every bit as mesmerizing as the old Zamboni. Can't take your eyes off it...





Saturday night we experienced one of the great unknown highlights of Upstate New York. In the little known land of Hemlock there is a county fair where, once a year, the fine folk of Hemlock and the surrounding area gather together for the finest smash-down-demolition-derby that this blonde, conservative couple from the Intermountain West has ever seen. Seats are a hot commodity here, so you gotta come early and duct-tape your blanket to the bleachers. The derby is only part of the joy...believe me, this is people watching at its finest.

This is Trent: And, I must say, the people watching is AWESOME! (To be fair, I'm sure others were watching us right back, saying "who's that scarecrow with the wanna-blend-in skull shirt on and his pretty wife?" We did our best to blend in, but....) Let's see, we saw naked dude - I like to call him that because he thought he was lookin' s-e-x-y with his no shirt, no shoes, no UNDER pants, but some really low hangin' have-a-good-time jeans shorts. Awesome. We also saw Cheeto lady. I like to call her that because, let's be honest, when you're downin' the entire bag (Costco size) by yourself while you wait for the ol' Demo-D, and the bleacher is bowed to the ground because, well, one or two too many cheetos have gone down the pie-hole, and you're wearin' your big and happy t-shirt size XXXXL, it's AWESOME. My personal favorite was - God Bless the people of Hemlock - they're doing no dentist any favors. Whoever heard of dentists? You only need three or four teeth to suck down another keg of beer. And, bras? Well, honey, in Hemlock, it's about how LOW can you GO! A happier people I have ne'er seen....
Enlarge this, if you can, to see Cheeto lady in the grey tanktop
(sadly, the cheeto bag is eclipsed by a backpack)


This is Liz: a last and final highlight. Remember, importantly, no one in Upstate New York has ever seen a pregnant woman. The shock and awe of such a sight is apparently exacerbated when one is drunk, as the following interchange with a half naked, drunk man will confirm. It went down like this: I was walking down the road of the fair grounds, looking for a funnel cake for my man (who could not be peeled away from the demolition derby). A man holding a large beer in one hand and a cigarette dangling in the other almost passed me by when his eyes narrowed on my...ahem...rather large belly...at which point he yelled, "OH MY! WHEN WE DUE? WHEN WE DUE?" and began walking toward me. The look in his eye told me he fully intended on rubbing my belly. I cowed, smiled and said, "Uh, pretty soon" and he responded, "OH I CAN SEE THAT! WELL GOD BLESS YOU!"

God bless you all, Hemlock. This was about the most fun we've had in months. Seriously, we loved every second, every person, and every dent in each car that screamed passed us.


I do love the charm of Upstate, but now I think I like it's down-dirty-demolition-derby side even more.

Comments

Sara Boulter said…
Your words are killin me. You're "word" huh? Haha. Y'are.

Okay, so the derby huh? While I was makin' love to Sting, you was makin' love to Cheeto lady? LUCKY!

I got jealous.

This looks seriously so fun. You are a good sport being so pregnant at all. I ain't never done gone to a derby all pregnant.
Anaise said…
You're all set to move to Missouri now!
this was a scream to read. definetly my favorite post thus far. oh gosh, it makes me wanna move back home to florida. they have this kind stuff every weekend. the duck taped seats slays me to no end. sooo funny. the exchange with drunk man seeing prego woman, even funnier. oh love it. love it. i'm homesick for my redneck lovies.
Camille said…
Seriously, can I have your life? You can't believe how hard I was laughing ( I scared little Marcus). This made me laugh so freakin' hard b/c I thought Texas was the only place on earth like this. I would never expect this in NY. AHHHHH that cheeto lady and the when we due when we due had me doin' some pee pee in my pantalones.
AHHHHHHHH

And, you do look freakin' cute. I can't believe you went to to a demolition derby when you were 8 months pregnant. That's okay, I guess, I went river rafting when I was 8 months pregnant!!
. said…
I just have one pressing question. What possessed you? I'm just thinking...I can see y'all at the opera or the theater or even a Sting concert, but the demolition derby? One of these things is not like the other...
My favorite picture has to be the pink lady dancing on top of the pink car. Just think how many stories you'll be able to tell your kids from this day alone.
I say we should all try to find the hick-est activities we can and try to top each other. Think of the fun we'll have!!
P.S. Liz, you couldn't be cuter.
P.S.S. Also, I'm trying to make the world's longest comment.
Reggs said…
HA HAAA!! I felt like I couldn't read this post without a big costco bag of cheetos. It's almost like you went to the ZOO! They really are a different kind out there. The pictures are great and the text is even greater. Thanks for the heads up, Camille!
Cade said…
GREAT POST! Liz you have raised the bar on family blogs. This is incredible and I could only wish I was there with you. When Jill and I go to the fair we like to spend time counting "mullets".

Keep the terrific posts coming.
Amy Lou said…
Okay so I am total embarressed to admit this, but I have participated in a demo derby. I have a friend in Idaho that is a demo derby junkie and travels the demo derby circut(I don't know if there is such a thing, but he loves it). He would definately fit in with your Cheeto lady. Anyhow-he invited me to be his passenger in one of his rides and crazy me accepted. It was a total rush-every once in a while my hick side just has to come out. It was great to see you guys!
Stefany said…
I just clicked over here from The Fourney Four and I LOVE it! I grew up in Upstate New York. There is nothing like a good old demolition derby! I have lived in tiny towns in both Cortland and Chenango Counties. Lets see hemlock - what is that near?
SOOO glad I followed her advice to come over and see your blog.
Kristy said…
I know I am interjecting here a little late, but I have to agree with Trish. I can see you at such fancy events that I thought "upstate" might be host to; I can't believe you found the captial of hick there too.

Awesome post-made us all laugh A LOT!! And you know culture does come in all shapes and sizes (hahaha).
Diane said…
Yes, a demolition derby for you two? Shocking. But I'm glad you went because it made for some good reading. Why did I spend all that money for new teeth? I should have moved there. It would have been cheaper!
Lisa said…
This was HILARIOUS and reminded me of my first demolition derby while we were living in VERY Apalachia southeast Ohio and going to grad school. WHO is the lady dancing on the car and WHY does she look absolutely GINORMOUS? Oh! BTW, you don't know me, but I know half your family. Shar and Mel are two of my closest friends, so I know Anna, Mike, Charlotte, etc etc etc. Good luck with that baby!
Camille said…
Fast forward one year... I was so hoping you were going to go to this again this year, and now I find out that the dang pioneers up'd and ruined it for the rest of us!! SHOOOOOTT!!

this just makes me laugh thinkin' about it again.

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)