Utah, we love thee!



We're back in New York after a FABULOUS time in Utah. While we love livin' the good life here in Upstate, nothing really beats a trip home. Our memories of the mountains, the sunshine, the family, the friends, the laughter, the food, and so much more will linger with us for many months to come.
Here's a Top 10 recap of our trip, with a little commentary and a few photos.

Trent's Utah Top 10:

I feel privileged that I get to actually write on my wife's blog!! I would never do this if Liz hadn't started it... I'm such a private soul, loathe to share with others my life. I prefer to sit alone in dark rooms and imagine what it would be like to talk with people.... But, seriously, my top ten Utah moments? (Not in any particular order - lest you souls mentioned out there start to rank yourselves as my favorites)
1. Singing to Thad once again. He was particularly listless on this trip and I wondered whether he remembered me. I've been gone more than a year. I was relieved to see him respond to our favorites: Karen Carpenter and Mormon Hymns! The Thad I know rose out of the somber mood as soon as the familiar strains rang... "Why do Birds, suddenly appear...."?!
2. Chatting with my Mom into the wee hours of the morning when I was too tired to make coherent sentences and it was 4:00 a.m. New York time. But, when do i get to chat with my Mom? I also got to go to La Carreta with my Dad and chat it up, only I was able to discuss things a little more coherently at 4:00 P.m.
3. Climbing Timpanogos Mountain... I have a portrait of this, my favorite mountain, hanging in my living room in NY. I needed to be able to say, "See? I'm no lily-livered lawyer sitting for days in an office. I climbed THAT mountain to 12,000 feet all by myself!" I actually got nervous with all the snow drifts which remained at the higher elevations... I ultimately skiied down them in my tennis shoes!
4. Family Family Family. I got to spend time with my siblings, all of whom I miss terribly and wish they were closer.
5. Friends Friends Friends. In New York, I really missed those people who know me and like me anyway. You know who you are... and you know who you AREN'T! J/k. even though i'm not, ... well, whatever.
6. Fourth of July Freedom Run. Okay, so I'm going to admit this only once (on a public site) that I got a little misty when I arrived at the race Friday morning. These were my PEOPLE! I know the Utah hair, the Utah Valley mountains, the family focus, the I-can't-believe-that-I'm-running-10k-but-I-have-to-get-this-weight-off-so-I-fit-in-with-all-those-stupid-mormons-who-are-so-beautiful-dang-them people. Seriously, I loved every second of that race. I got to run the whole thing with Steve Breinholt and we chatted the whole time; sadly for those who ran around us and got an earful of what is going on in our lives. I also had Lesa catch up to me and then, for old times sake, I left her in the dust. That's how we say "I love you" in our family.
7. Miley Cyrus - NOT my favorite. But I thought it'd be funny to put her here. I actually just liked sitting with my family in the big BYU stadium, wondering why my back hurt because everyone rented out the portable chairs and wishing that I could smuggle in some treats because I'm too cheap to buy soda for $100 a bottle.
8. Utah Drivers... NOT my favorite. But, they made me remember why I like NY drivers. NY drivers are courteous, they actually let you in when you need to merge. AND, NY drivers (I'm talking Upstaters) don't cut you off as soon as you breathe. AND, NY drivers don't lay on the horn between that split second that the light second turns from red to green.
9. Killer Kayaks (or Kayak football) on UT lake. Thanks to Todd, we got to go out on the Lake,
set up our goals, and then kill each other as we tried to score our points in the Kayaks! Of course, there is a skill to overturning the other team's kayak and our attempt at rules limiting submerging the other team lasted at least for a FEW minutes. All in all, Lesa had me in stitches because she fled each attack, Thomas had me in fear for his life because he was afraid of nothing - including drowning, and everyone had me lovin' every second. I left with only a minor sunburn and a cracked rib.
10. Paying $150 for movie tickets because my family loves to promise that they'll pay you back but then... well, you know, life happens. Merry Christmas everyone!!! :) (really, don't pay me back. I don't WANT your money. Besides, I probably already owe you from the last time we went to the movie).
Liz's Utah Top 10

1. Getting pedicures with Mom, Jenny, and Sara and watching Mom lose her mind with laughter when they scrubbed her feet. She had everyone in the place laughing. Sara's impression of a fish in the aquarium was also particularly memorable.

2. Laughing so hard with Sara I almost went into labor; staying up late talking to Trish during our sleepover; hanging out and talking to Jenny; bonding with Martha and Melissa at the Larsen reunion. Oh, I LOOOVE my sisters!
3. Pool party at Sara's house complete with a diving board competition between the brothers-in-law and the sisters.

4. Driving into Utah County and experiencing that wonderful and indescribable feeling of being home.

5. Spending time with Sarah, Steve & Stephanie, WendyJ and Alli and Stacey, Paul & Ali, Steff & Cam, LoriK, Scott & Amy, and Nora & Timothy & Sister Tenney...NOTHING replaces good friends that have been there for a lifetime.

6. Going to the 10K in Provo and seeing so many familiar faces; watching the hot air balloons rise in the sky as I drove to the freedom festival; enjoying the parade with family; dancing to Miley Cyrus at Stadium of Fire. Honestly, you just cannot beat the 4th of July festivities in 84604.

7. Enjoying every minute at my favorite food spots: Rumbi, I love you. La Carreta, I love you, too. And Magleby's Fresh? Well, I love your breakfasts and your syrup and your chocolate cake most of all!

8. Walking around the Provo Temple at sunset. I think it has the best view in Utah County.

9. Everyone in Utah who said, "hey, you're pregnant...and you look great!" (as opposed to the NY state of mind which is something like, "Hey, you're pregnant...and you're huge...")

10. Fantastic baby shower with my dear aunts and cousins: thank all of you, so much!



Enjoying our wedding cake, 15 months after the fact (a bit dry, but not too bad)



Singing to Thad


Our friend Nora had 2 sets of twins in 5 years (with a single birth in between the 2 twins pictured here). It made us feel like yeah, we can do this kid thing, 'cause there's only ONE on the way...




Loving time with Maddy and Elizabeth

Hiking Mount Timpanogos



The 10K runners!


Blending families at the parade



Enjoying Magleby's Fresh breakfast with Mom and Dad


Stadium of Fire...every bit as lovely as we remember it, although I personally missed Donny Osmond coming down out of a helicopter.



I think we cried every time the flag came out on the 4th. There was such an overwhelming feeling of patriotism and pride. It's enough to make me want to be a Republican.



This is Trent and his good friend, Scott. We really loved reconnecting with everyone on this trip.

Comments

Camille said…
Trent's list = laughed my freakin' cabeza off (except the part about singing to Thad... I was a big boob, obviously.)

Liz's list= me jealous and misty and longing to go home, too. I'm sad I missed out on the fun with you and I miss you so much. Aside from my mission, this is the longest we've been apart (and it's almost been as long as my mission!)
You look lovely and I'm so glad you had such a nice time. Now get ready for that beautiful babby. I am so excited for you and I'll be praying for you this next month--hardest of them all. gank.
Kandis said…
It was so fun to see you while you were in town! I loved your top 10 lists!
Dangcutekids said…
WE MISSED YOU both. Sounds like you had a incredible time. But you have to admit you really like us Upstaters, come on admit it, just a little bit. Even though our hair is smaller and our restaurant selection is pretty lame :)
Kristy said…
I loved loved seeing you! I am so glad I got to come to the baby shower. Glad you made it back to your NY home safe too. Funny lists you guys. You fit a lot in while you were here. FAMILY and FUN!!
stillindowney said…
Loved your lists and you. Sorry we didn't get to see you Trent but we know you were there in spirit--telling Liz, "YOU CAN DO THIS".
WE are sooo looking forward to the next big event in your lives--itsa comin- ista comin==oh I mean, shesa comin shesa comin.

love to you
Diane said…
How I loved visiting with you and your siblings. You are such amazing neices.
. said…
Love the top ten lists, guys! Two thoughts...Trent, start a blog so you can help keep me entertained (you lily-livered lawyer, you!) and Liz, it was sooo wonderful spending time with you. I'm counting down to when I get to see you again!
. said…
P.S. Trent, I didn't see any mention of Silver Lake Flats on your top ten list. Why is that??
Sara Boulter said…
Awww Lizzy.

"Does this aquarium make me look fat?"

I'm so glad I got to spend so much time with you while you were here. I'm excited most about the fact that the next time I see you, you'll have a babby! I'm gonna shoot the heck outta her. I mean...I hope she's not ugly.
AD said…
What a fun, fun post. I am trying hard not to be envious of the obvious closeness of your family...don't they say that a family who runs together, stays together?

This was my first introduction to Trent. I like him!
Anonymous said…
Dear liz,
this is maddy by the way. I just wanted to say how much i love you. you are like another mom to me. and i miss you...alot. Please come to texas to bond with us.My mom and i would love it! SO pleez come be texans with us.
i love you,
maddy
P.S. trent i love you even though you are a lily-liver lawyer who climbed Mt.Timpanogas!
good job on the freedom run by the way.
i love you both,
maddy(again)
your favoritest
jk

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)