This morning's gift

It's no secret to those who know me well that I love to sleep. Love it. LOOOVE it. The best part of sleep, to me, is sleeping in. I love waking slowly, restfully, quietly.

That has all stopped since Lillian Grace came into the world.

I've been trying to live in the moment. I've been trying to love taking care of her, and most days I do. But I miss my sleep.

I suppose you can blame it on this bleak midwinter, but I've found myself missing more than sleep lately. Dare I even admit it? I've missed those days when I was free to do what I wanted, when I wanted; days when no one else controlled my schedule but me. I've missed my awesome career. I've missed the freedom to run into Ann Taylor and buy whatever I want. I've missed hanging out on a Friday night without worrying about finding a babysitter.

And so, when Lillian woke this morning altogether too early, I thought of all those things I've missed lately. And I wished for just a few moments more of sleep. But she was wide awake, looking for some play time and conversation. I tried to humor her as I wiped the sleep from my eyes.

But after about 20 minutes of play time, something crazy happened...she rubbed her eyes. She yawned. She pawed gently at me--the sure sign of "feed me, rock me, and let me sleep"--I couldn't believe it; I thought maybe she was faking me out. So I didn't even swaddle her, I just cradled her in my arms as I finished my cereal and opened the lap top computer.

I held her closely and rocked her a little as I did my morning blog check. By the time I was halfway through Nienie's latest post, Lillian was fast asleep in my arms. I took a long look at her: that beautiful, almost translucent pink skin, that beautiful mouth, those sweet fingers curled around mine.

I closed the computer. I wrapped both arms around her. I closed out the thought of the dirty dishes and laundry waiting for me. We went back to my bed and I snuggled back into my pillow. I closed my eyes, and we slept. We woke gently and quietly, just she and I, as the sunlight streamed in the window.

I forgot about what I missed. I remembered what I've been given.

And for as long as the moment would allow, I basked in the quiet glory of motherhood.

Comments

KA said…
Everybody misses their old lives sometimes...

Just in case you're so lucky, my son will be two next month and STILL lays down for a nap at about 9:30am for about an hour (has his whole life) and again at 2 for about 2 1/2 hours. Bedtime is 8:30-7:30pm. It's a pretty sweet gig, really. Even though we still have to get babysitters to go to movies :)

PS: This is Kristen Allen, if you couldn't tell from my blog ID.
Anaise said…
What a lovely morning together!
Mike-and-Lesa said…
Among all the disgusting putrid diapers, the "No's!!!", the hours of crying, the throw-up, the sleepless nights, the ear aches, the messes, the smashed bananas, the vaccinations/shots, the tantrums, and for us Ross’s the inevitable case of “Molluscum contagiosum” are the moments that make it all worth while. When they cuddle up and hold you tight. When your leaving for work and they say “I love you, I’m going to miss you”. When you walk in the door and they run to you and give you a big hug. Despite the loss of sleep, the loss of freedom, and the loss of personal time (to some degree), aren’t they the second best thing that’s happened to you? Trent being the 1st and Lesa and I being close behind!!!
Dangcutekids said…
Makes me cry to read this. I think she knows you needed a quiet morning today, if she didn't Someone else did. What a peaceful tender mercy. It's the sweet satisfaction of motherhood.
. said…
What a sweet post, Liz. It makes me so happy to see you enjoying motherhood. What a blessing to have the wisdom to see how precious those quiet moments truly are. You're such a good momma.
I hope you get some sleep today!
Camille said…
And somehow we finally learn what it means in Nephi about how children and joy go together. It's so beautiful. And so hard. really, it's the hardest thing I've ever done. But also the most rewarding. I'm glad you get those extra snoozes and snuggles.
xoxo
AD said…
Ah, those are the moments that make it all so worth it! :)
Good Carma said…
I have been at Michele's house for 10 days and I got a chance to relive some of the things I miss from my old other life. No worries about being on time to work, cooking dinner, volunteering in a kindergarten class watching 20 of the cutest kids learn and enjoy life, snuggle with a little one at night, being read to, making brownies. It is a good thing to have grandchildren to bring back the joys of your previous life and another chance to enjoy moments like you had today once again.
Carla said…
What a sweet post! Made me shed a little tear!
I loved the post about the swearing too. "Pass the damn ham." Hilarious!
Jen said…
The tender mercies. I loved this. You are amazing. OK I will enter a recipe and you write a book. Deal! xoxox