Like mother, like daughter

This is my mom when she came to take care of me after I had Lillian. We went to get some tea at the local tea shop. I had a hard time pulling her away from Walmart, her favorite store in the whole world.

Growing up, my mother was a bargain shopper extraordinaire. We went to the bread thrift store to buy bread; she shopped sales at KMart and put stuff on layaway; nothing got her hopping like a good deal at Reams or Storehouse Market.

It wasn't enough for mom just to bargain shop. Like any good woman, she loved to share the good news with her peeps. So, sometimes after thumbing through the Sunday paper advertisements, she'd call up a friend or sister: "Gladys! (names have been changed to protect the innocent; as far as I can recall, my mom never had a friend or relative named Gladys)" I'd hear her say. "Did you see that they've got lettuce at Reams for 19 cents a head?" And on the conversation would go as the ladies animatedly discussed various deals and prices.

We girls just rolled our eyes. I knew money was tight at our house--it always was--but I couldn't help but wonder why mom took such obvious delight in getting bread for a buck.

In addition to the great joy that came to her from getting a good deal on food, my mom seemed to have endless conversations with my dad about the price of gas. "Oh, it's $1.17 over at Chevron?...But if you run over to the Flying J a mere 14 miles further, you can get it for $1.01! Oh, my!"

Oh, my, indeed.

In silent but stubborn protest, when I got older, I deliberately shopped at expensive grocery stores. I took personal delight in ignoring the price on just about everything. "What's the price of gas down in Provo these days?" my dad would ask while talking to me on the phone. "Couldn't care less!" I would sing out happily as I left on every light in my house. It felt extravagant to have no idea how much I was paying for gas or what the price of bread was. I loved it.

When Trent and I began eating regular meals and I committed myself to domesticity, however, I began taking note of how much we were spending on food. All extravagance aside, it seemed exhorbitant that 2 people could be spending as much as we were just to eat, and so I started cutting back, looking for bargains. I also began to take a bit in pleasure in running our household while sticking to a budget. It made grocery shopping a bit more exciting because it required strategizing and skill.

I realized how much I had changed last night when Trent got home from work. Over dinner, we excitedly discussed the article I had just found in a magazine. It was 50 ways to cut back on home expenditures. We thought it was fascinating. "You mean you can save $30 a year if you replace your a/c filters?" Trent read aloud. "Yeah, and look at this one, you can save even more if you unplug electrical appliances when they're not in use!" I said. "This is so cool!" we both agreed. I think that our 2-years-ago-selves would have begun to seriously roll their eyes at us.

Last week I got together with some other young moms to make some hair bows for our little girls. As we put together the bows and I tried to convince the ladies that they really wanted giant flowers poking up off their little girls' heads, the conversation turned to coupon cutting and getting a bargain at the grocery store. "Why, Gladys," I heard myself saying as I glued a big daisy to a head band, "You're telling me that with some coupons I can get lettuce for .19 cents a head?"

Okay, the conversation didn't really go like that. I still don't know where you can get lettuce for 19 cents. BUT, I have found myself following valiantly in my mother's bargain hunting footsteps. I'm not above clipping a coupon here and there to save some money. I spent the better part of the morning working out a deal with my cable company to cut our bill--and I felt extremely satisfied when I was victorious. I understand now that if I turn off the lights or unplug that unused appliance, it's going to mean a little extra in my pocket instead of heading to the electric bill company.

I am my mother's daughter. It's awesome.

Comments

Dangcutekids said…
Once again you are an AWESOME writer. My favorite part is where "I committed myself to domesticity" love to hear you say that! It's like Onward Christian Soldiers, we're in this together, and we're on a mission. We'll find that 19 cent lettuce... love it!
Cade said…
I Believe! In fact I have tried convincing Jill that IF we moved in with her parents for a year, and then MY parents for a year, we could Pay CASH for our house! She will have nothing to do with it. Of course if we all just hunkered down and lived in cardboard boxes we could all live pretty cheaply.

BTW - Coke Zero is 4/$10 at Associated Foods this week.
You and CJane have a serious knack for writing! Must be an English teacher. Very funny post. I'm right there with you in the bargain aisle!

By the way, I was watching Kung Fu Panda with my kids today and the Panda said, "Pure Awesomeness!"--I had to laugh because it totally reminded me of the Suttons! You guys are so great!

Megan
Anaise said…
Welcome to the club! Glad to have you join us! :)
Diane said…
It is just amazing to me the way our mothers influence comes back in some rather random ways. Often I find myself doing something I thought I would NEVER do or think. Your blog was adorable and I am laughing like crazy!
Camille said…
Welcome to the coupon world! Seriously, I love it. Except secretly sometimes I think I spend more money shopping with coupons b/c I buy things I wouldn't normally buy and they're not the generic brand, either. Oh well, I love seeing $30 come off my grocery bill every week b/c of it.

You're so awesome, you little lettuce lunger, you.
Steffani said…
I totally know you as the "I don't care what it costs" girl and so that was sooo funny! I guess marriage and our mothers will eventually win out on the bargain hunting. Just don't do it like my mom and get mad at the waitress for charging .50 extra cents, and then go out and buy a $500 sweater. I'm still confused by that one! Love you lots. I tried to call today but you didn't answer. Love you lots.
AD said…
What a funny post! Loved the bow-making conversation...is she really Gladys????

Living in the great $tate of California has caused me to rethink some of my habits, too. Our electric bill in the summer is over $600! Yikes. I read that phone chargers (with or without a phone attached) are some of the biggest energy drains, so I try to keep my phone charger plugged in only when I am charging my phone. Not only is it good for my electric bill, it is also a part of my attempt to go green(er).
. said…
Oh, Liz! This post had me laughing so hard! Mostly because I TOO know the buy-whatever-I-want-at-whatever-price-Liz. I'm actually surprised you've turned so willingly to the other side. I hope you save lots of money, though! You inspire me!
Jen said…
Oh, Liz, I love looking at your blog. I was laughing my head off and had to call mom and read it to her. She was laughing so hard, I think she might have, well you know. Anyway, I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately I have a husband who is not so much a bargin shopper I keep trying to convert him. Anyway, great post!!!!
Good Carma said…
Haaa, ask Judy and Anna and yes, Marian, how Michele gets paid to buy stuff. Let me tell you, the LDS storehouse has nothing on her. She has 6 yes that is right 6 sunday papers delivered for coupons and that is only because 6 is the maximun amount of coupons they will let her use at one time. So do you think she has me to thank for her thrifty ways? There comes a time in everyones life when they get a rush out of saying, "It was 10 for a $1.00 I tell you, 10 for one tiny $1.oo. LaMont used to say "I bet if I wore a 1/2 off sign to bed at night I would get lucky a whole lot more".
Carla said…
Cute post! I try so hard to be frugal. I try to go through the Sunday paper and cut out coupons. My problem is I usually forget the #$*& coupons when I go shopping!
Everybody loves a bargain!

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)