Grocery store friends


As we were about to fall asleep last night, I asked Trent what the best part of his day was. He responded that it was pretty awesome to come home to dinner already made because he was very very hungry.

I was pleased.

He asked me what my favorite part of the day was. I thought for a minute and then decided: grocery shopping with Lillian.

I know. I actually usually hate grocery shopping. It drives me a bit batty. I can't ever figure out how to get my child and myself into the store and around the store and out of the store without cursing. Or wanting to curse. It's the combination of all those grocery carts and the car seat and the grocery bags and the cold wind whipping in my face as I try to get in and out of the store. I often leave feeling like I've run a marathon. Or at least a 10K.

Grocery shopping is often very vexing. Don't you think?

But we had to go. The milk in the fridge was almost turning sour. Trent was very very hungry last night, actually, because there hasn't been any food for him to grab in the morning to take to work. For lunch yesterday he ate a can of chef-boyardee ravioli that had expired last August. Mmmm. Tasty.

So, yesterday morning off we went. I decided we were going to go to the nice grocery store. The one that has twinkle lights hanging from the ceiling. We even dressed up a little. Lillian had a bracelet on and pink sunglasses (she doesn't even take them off, which is awesome). I had done my hair (which is no longer pink). We were feeling great.

Since Lillian-the-great now can sit up, for the first time ever I just plopped her right in front of the grocery cart. She loved it. And so did every couple over 65 that was out shopping yesterday (and there was about 113 of them). They fawned all over Lillian. Their comments and colorful personalities made our shopping an absolute delight.

"That baby probably wants a hero sandwich, don't you think" says a wizened old man with scraggly hair remnants and thick glasses. His wife had bright pink lipstick and a permanent wave. "Of course she does!" I say. We all laugh as they continue to shuffle their way down the aisle.

"Treasure every moment you have with that child," says an 85 year old lady (she told me her age herself) with double pierced earrings, long red fingernails, and quite a bouffant hairdo. "Bless you," I say as I pass. "Oh, bless you" she says. "God bless you both."

I giggle to myself as I push the cart past her. People don't talk this way in Utah. I don't talk this way in Utah. Who do I think I am, exactly, blessing people like this? a nun? Sister Elizabeth? I don't care. Lillian and the happy shoppers are bringing it out in me.
We pass a man with giant forearms and tatoos all over who is arranging the matzo crackers for the Passover display. It's right next to the giant Easter display. I think he looks a little like Popeye. I like that there's a Passover display, too. As I push my cart along, I start thinking of all the Jewish holidays that coincide with Christian holidays and I wonder how much of a coincidence that really is. Which is pretty deep thinking for grocery shopping.

"Oh, honey, look at that baby! Oh, hello little baby! Hello! Hellooooo!" I'm pushed out of my reverie by about 5 more couples who pass us by, saying as the walk down the aisle "Did you see the little baby? What a precious little baby that was...."

I'm loving this. These people are so delightful I can't stand it: Popeye, Hero Sandwich guy, Bouffant hair lady. As we continue to checkout, we see the hero sandwich couple who have paused to rest at the lawn furniture display. They begin waving like mad to Lillian. I grab her arm and wave back at them. I feel like we're friends now.

Then, the clerk explains to me this awesome service the store has. I leave my grocery cart with them, I go out to my car holding nothing but my baby, I drive up to the front of the store in the special drive-up lane, and a nice man puts all my groceries in the car for me. Lillian smiles at him and he says she is a beautiful baby.

I love him. I love the grocery store people whom I've decided are completely brilliant. I love all the people of Upstate New York.

Show me a little love at the grocery store and I'm yours forever.

Comments

Karina said…
Oh, that was too much fun. What a fantastic day. Last week, I would have felt the same way.

This week, I would have muttered "Would everyone just quit talking to me? I know how cute my baby is!" Sad, I know.
Camille said…
I think this might be one of my favorite blog posts ever!! I loved it!! and am just snigglin' to myself. AND was just going to log on and write a post about my trip to the grocery store today with 4 kids in tow. It wasn't the best. I'm glad I read your post first! hilarious!! love you!
liza said…
Where's the picture of cute Lillian sitting up all by herself in the grocery cart? You must go back and get one for all of us to see. Love you guys!
. said…
I just loved this post! I love when you can find something good about going to the grocery store. Who'da thought those New Yorkers could be so darn friendly?
Judy Francisco said…
I laughed out loud--which is very unusual for me at almost 11:00 at night (I get up at 5:00)! what a rich picture you painted! So glad I couldn't resist clicking onto ONE LAST BLOG before hitting the pillow--now I'll go to bed smiling...

P.S. Karina's response cracked me up too...
Trish said…
Don't you love Wegman's?!? It is, for me, the center of community in my life some days! I'm glad you and Lillian had such a ball.
Anaise said…
I hate grocery shopping--but I love nice people who compliment my children! What a happy day! I'm thinking the sunglasses and bracelet must have been pretty cute.
Carla said…
Oh who could resist a baby wearing a bracelet and sunglasses?!? How cute.
I am a grocery shopping HATER, but I'm glad you had a good experience. And what a neat service that particular store provides!
P.S.
I'm glad your hair isn't pink anymore!
Mike-and-Lesa said…
did you tip the guy that put the stuff in your car for you? If not then you are totally from Utah or at least that is what we were told last week as we were tipping a guy. "where are you from?", "Utah" "Really, i never would have guessed, people from Utah never tip" So, are you a real Utahn or are you now a bonified New Yorker?
stillindowney said…
Can I take Lillian grocery shopping with me the next time I go? It won't be until she is 14--that is how often I go--I have 2 14 year olds and 1 17 year old and 1 50 year old--I don't get alot of waving when I go shopping--maybe you should come to California and show us how it is done--please!!!!!
Jake and Julie said…
You must have gone to Wegmans in Pittsford. I miss Wegmans.
Steffani said…
Somehow my experience in the Orem Walmart has been a little different than that and more similar to a drive by shooting. Oh, well. One day I'll live back east! HA!

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)