Decorating Dilemma

I have this blank wall in my kitchen.

We have lived in our house for a year. We actually still have quite a few blank walls. But this one in the kitchen, in particular, has vexed me. I stare at it, almost daily, and wonder, What goes there? What will look good? A picture? A shelf? Some plates? And the months have passed and the wall remains blank.

About a month ago, I found this picture of some wall baskets in a catalogue.


I liked them. Trent liked them. This is a look, we thought, that goes with our kitchen! Finally! I was sold on the idea, wholeheartedly.

About a week ago, I called the company selling the baskets. To my surprise, they were all sold out. Then the hunt began. I called stores all over the country at the suggestion of the catalogue lady. We found the top basket in NYC and the bottom basket in Palo Alto and the third basket, alas, no longer exists in the US of A.

Fine, I thought. I actually have a third basket that will go with these other two. Very nice. Also, the limited number of baskets made them very inexpensive. Very nice, indeed.

Well, The first of my two mail order baskets came today. It's very cool. It's very unique.

It's also very big.

Like ginormously big. Like, the the picture in the catalogue is of pretty much the biggest wall you've ever seen in order to fit all three of those baskets on it.

Here's my dilemma:
Put the ONE basket on the wall?
Put Lillian in the basket?

Leave it on the roof for Big Bird?

What do you think?

Lesson to me: things are not always what they seem. Even in cool furniture catalogues.

Comments

. said…
Those pictures are hilarious! And bummer about the basket--it's really beautiful. The nice thing about baskets like that is that you can always fill them with something cool (or not) and place them on a big table or something. You have endless options! (Including a handy place to put your child!)
Camille said…
Hilarious post and hilarious idea from Trish... that can be baby lllillly's time out basket or sumsing.

The basket is pretty. You should fill it full with chicken nuggets and open up your own restaurant. The empty wall could have a list of other things you serve and do. then you could make enough money for your blinds. Brilliant idea. And then maybe, you could move up to fries.
Steffani said…
Ah, ha! It worked! I don't know how I fixed it but I did. Anyway, I can't believe how huge the basket is. It definitely did not look like that was a massive wall! I would have been tricked too. Maybe you could just put it up with one big basket. I bet it would still look cool. But it does suit Lilian very well, too . . .steffani

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)