I get by with a little help from my friends.

Cjane started it.

The way she described that asparagus and baked potato left me wanting more. I had to go to the store. We had to have asparagus and baked potato. It was our official welcome-to-spring food.

But Steffani had something to do with it, too. A lot to do with it. As in all things, she inspired me to live a little healthier. But more on that, later.

Steffani's goodness got me thinking this week about how my life has been blessed by her specifically and in general by friendship. I have been blessed with friends who have filled my life with joy and laughter, with empathy and compassion, with wisdom and grace. They have given me solid evidence for how God intervenes in my life.

When it comes to friendship, I am blessed among women.


There's Lori. She drops the occasional d--- and h--- words and drinks diet coke like it's going out of style. She and I dressed up in leather (?) for a Halloween party and spent the entire evening pretending we were walking a catwalk. The next morning I woke up wondering if that was what a hangover felt like. Lori makes me laugh and helped me understand and embrace my singlehood. When she got married a couple of years before me, she helped me understand married-hood. She gave me a subscription to Oprah magazine and celebrated every bad break up with me.

There's Wendy. I call her WendyJ. She's the only friend I've ever had who God told me we were going to be friends. She stood in the kitchen of my apartment 10 years ago, looking for a roommate, and a soft whisper in my soul said, "I sent you this girl to be your friend." He knew I needed her. We've seen each other through some crazy times. She the one that knows all that deep down you-don't-tell anyone stuff. She still calls me just to check in. She will for the rest of her life. God sent WendyJ to me.

There's Paul. He's the only man in this group of women. I've known him since I was ten. He gets the credit for single handedly getting me through my twenties. Paul bought me Sevens jeans and dinner at just about every classy, cultured, artsy restaurant in Utah. We went to a U2 concert and on a drive through Sundance in a red mercedes. Breathtakingly fun stuff. But, most of all, Paul just loved me for me.

Writing about each one of them makes me just wish you could know them: Trish who helped me survive school last year; JulieG who loves books and sent some to my baby; Kristin who is goodness personified. Kathryn. Jaimey. Liza. Each are a gift. Each are a blessing.

And then there's Steffani. She's been my dearest friend for 20+ years. She is the very definition of loyalty. When Steffani listens, she hears you. She responds without judging, yet has a way of speaking so honestly and authentically that I want to better myself rather than justify my actions. In addition to everything else she is and does, Steffani found Trent for me.

She is kind and she is good and she inspires me, always: to be a better mother, to be a better wife, to be a better Latter-day Saint, to be a better vegetable eater.

And so we come back to the asparagus. Steffani has been on a health kick for a month and a half. When we spoke on the phone the other day, I was inspired by her, yet again. I went out and bought the veggies.

And you know what? I feel better already.

Comments

. said…
I've always just been just the teensiest bit jealous that you have so many fulfilling friendships. You always have--I don't know how you do it! Except that you, too, are a loving, giving, wonderful human being and one of my own dearest friends. So I think I understand why. I'm so happy for you. And I'm so glad you've had Steff to lean on all these years. What a blessing.

(Also, by way of observation, I would not only say you are blessed with good friends, but good blonde friends. Interesting!)
Trent said…
A man can learn a lot about a woman by the company she keeps. In this case, her company proved her great value.
Anaise said…
Hmmm, I was not inspired by cjane's description, but I AM inspired by your beautiful picture . . . I love beautiful vegetable meals! I dreamed of vegetables last night.

You are so cute in that picture--so much excitement! Makes me want to pull out my own wedding album.

You must BE a good friend for you to have such good friends around you.
Camille said…
you HAVE been blessed with such lovely people to surround you and lift you up. I'm so glad for you. and so glad we got to know and love those people, too.

and so glad that Steff lined you up with Trent. she is a true BFF.
Steffani said…
I just saw this! I am late in responding, but it made me cry! You are so sweet to say those things, if only they were true! I do love you and am so grateful that Flordia was a scary place and that that girl left her comb in her hair when it got stuck and that it was all so disturbing that you decided to come and live with me our Sophomore year. Our lives are monumentally different because of it and I'll be forever grateful. I love you! Steff
jaimey said…
Liz, you always make me cry. In a good way. In a life-is-wonderful-and-I-am-so-blessed way. Thank you for this post. My friends are, too, such treasures and blessings. They smooth out my rough spots and bring comfort and joy and delight. And you, of course, are one I will always consider my dear friend. Loves to you, Lizard. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)