Spring in the City

Sometimes the best vacations are only one day long. When you only have a day, you somehow make the most of every moment. Saturday was our day in Manhattan, a trip we took in honor of our wedding anniversary.


On the way down (it's quite a long drive), we took turns entertaining Lillian. Trent sang Itsy Bitsy Spider. We also sang every song we could think of written by Janice Kapp Perry. Then it was every song we could think of by Michael McLean. Awesome flashbacks to highschool were had by Trent and I. Also: incredible harmony. Like maybe we should cut a CD. Wait for it.

We arrived Friday night and checked into our hotel. Saturday morning, our day began!

First, we had to run to Saks. Because it was there. Because it was 5th avenue. Because I'm a GIRL. Trent obliged me, quite happily, because he had Lillian and about 50 people were swarming him with delight over her. It's always fun to be the person with Lillian in NY.

We walked and walked and walked all through the City on Saturday. Sometimes when you do that, your baby gets hungry. I was happy to oblige her, even though we were in the middle of the city. I think I've come a long way in this whole baby-feeding thing. This one's for you, Trish.

Lillian has a new habit of opening her mouth really wide and singing when she's very happy. She was very happy here. So were we all.

After a brief stop in Central Park we continued Uptown to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We toured through the life and times of the Egyptians, early American furniture (surprisingly fascinating), and then headed upstairs for a little Rodin (my very favorite) and Caravaggio.




On the way out of the Met, we were feeling hungry. But we had left in the hotel the printed email that included information on great places to eat that my cousin had sent us.

Luckily for us, there was a hot dog stand right next to the museum. Even more lucky for us, the idea of a hot dog just hit the spot. Perfect for the moment.




Central Park was simply too beautiful and perfect that day, so we returned. Spring was in full glory, as you can see. I took off my shoes and played with precious Lillian who, after this picture was taken, spent the rest of her time crawling backward on the grass (she hasn't quite gotten that forward momentum thing down, yet).








Trent's brother, Tim,who lives in NYC, met us in Central Park and then we headed over for dinner at a lovely restaurant. Tim was there to be our babysitter for the evening ahead.

My feet were very sore, so we took a taxi ride. Lillian loved being free from the cage of the car seat. She also really loved Tim. She liked keeping her hands on him (this might be my favorite picture from the whole trip).

After dinner, we stopped off at the hotel and freshened up. Lillian fell fast asleep in her pack n' play and Tim had his laptop. They were set.

Trent and I stepped back out in the glorious spring evening air. We walked to the theatre and enjoyed an absolutely unforgettable performance of West Side Story.

We stopped at a cafe on our way home and enjoyed some dessert, then walked our way back to our hotel. A man in the street yelled, "Aw, look at the newlyweds everybody!" I smiled to myself, happy to know he was talking about us.

A perfect day.

Tune in tomorrow for what happened on Sunday. It was not perfect. But it was memorable. It includes:

Prunes and poop
Church and the car
Blisters and barefoot babies
Sauconys and Skirts

Comments

Our Family said…
SO FUN! I loved the pictures and hearing all about your lovely spring anniversary! You look SO beautiful and happy!

Can't wait for tomorrow! :)
. said…
Oh, I love to see the pictures! It looks like you had an amazing time. Why have I not been to NYC? Maybe when I come to visit next time we could go. To a non-musical.
Anyway, I loved seeing you nurse in the middle of Central Park and cart Lillian around the town.
Good times!
Karina said…
Sounds just perfect. Will I ever be skinny like you again and have that much energy? I can't wait to visit New York.
AD said…
What a wonderful way to spend the anniversary and how fun that you were mistaken for newlyweds! :)

Such darling photos and I love the one with Lillian singing!
Anaise said…
So, Lillian singing is my favorite picture, and you getting to see Caravaggio is my most jealous moment--haven't seen anything by him since backpacking through Europe almost 16 years ago (hmm, I got to backpack through Europe . . . maybe I shouldn't be jealous of anything :) )

What a fun trip . . . can't wait for the sequel!
my favoritest post yet. so delightful. so lovely.
Camille said…
ahhhh this just made me smile. All the pics. you in the park with baby llillly (I Used to write baby Larry b/c of Ollie, but now the sweet way Marcus says it, I have to change my ways), you guys in the taxi with trent's bro and her little hands (ahhh lookkkk at yerrr leeetllle hannndds)-- did you seriously wanna freak out not having a car seat in a taxi cab? what was that like?

where did you park your car? I just have so many questions! can you give me a play by play of the show? Who was driving or watching the road while you took a pic of trent singing itsy bitsy spider?

ahhhhh I loved this. and i love you! and I guess Trent, too. I guess.

Popular posts from this blog

In Singapore Now

For Thad

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...