Utah Trip Top 10

We are home. We are settled. We are recovering from sleep deprivation incurred on a red-eye flight that also included a little bit of this (yes, we really did experience it, right there on the runway).

Now that we're back, it's time for this year's edition of our Utah Trip Top 10. In random order, here they are (get excited, peeps, this is gonna be good):

#10 No one loves you like your Mama:
Nothing can compare with the time we spent with our beloved family members. It was delightful beyond description to see Lillian interact with her grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles. I was especially grateful when Lillian and I got sick beyond measure and I called my mom in a stress-induced-grad-school-and-this-sick-baby-is-killing-me-cry. She dropped everything and took Lillian for the day. Who does stuff like that except moms?

#9 Dog Heaven:
Spending most of our time at homes that were very animal friendly meant Lillian was in pet heaven. Sometimes the dogs dissed her (see below) as she chirped and chatted and crawled ravenously in a sort of show-offy way to garner their attention. Ultimately, the dogs became her devoted friends when they realized how much food she dropped of the side of her high chair. I didn't mind until I saw them licking her hands and heard her giggling with delight as she merrily stuffed more food in their mouths. Then I just shook my head and walked away. Sometimes, you just gotta walk away...



#8: P-R-O-V-O we L-O-V-E you!
No one, and I mean NO ONE does the 4th of July like the folks do it in Provo. This year was no exception. The day started with the race in the morning, then it was time for the parade, then we rode Kayaks down the Provo river, and ended the day with a BBQ and fireworks extravaganza in Mike and Lesa's backyard. It's my favorite holiday and nothing beats celebrating it in my hometown.




#7 You so funny!
My sister Sara is, quite possibly, the funniest person I've ever met. She can lay me on the floor, howling with laughter, like no one else on earth. This trip's highlights with Sara included a maniac-style Sunday evening scooter ride, discovering an 80 year old Princess Leia in a restaurant, Lillian dress up, and some awesome tatoos for Lillian and Ollie.

#6 The food, food, food, food
What would a trip to Utah be without a trip to Magleby's Fresh, our favorite breakfast restaurant. Their syrup is like nothing you've ever had in your life. You would want to swim in it or drink it straight from a fountain or just sop it up with every pancake or piece of french toast in the world. Our last morning in Utah had to include a trip to Mag's with Lesa, Trent's youngest sister, and her husband, Mike.


#5 The best view of Utah Valley

I do love the Provo Temple. I was married in this temple and have spent a fair share of time worshipping within its hallowed rooms; the view outside the temple is particularly breathtaking. It's especially nice that the temple is a stone's throw from Trent's parents' house. Nothing better than a cruise around the temple in barefeet just as the sun is setting on a summer's evening.


#4 Sick, sick, sick
Lillian started cutting her front teeth on this trip. Then she went ahead and did the full-blown teething extravaganza where she began cutting 3 other teeth, too. This led to a runny nose which led to a cough which led to a fever which led to double ear infections and some quality time at the local insta care. I've never seen her so sick. Thank heaven for Amoxycilin.

#3 Grad School

I've probably mentioned it enough. And I didn't take any pictures. My professor just emailed me to inform me I got an A in the course. Whew. My brain hurts.


#2 Kalai is cool

Sara held a benefit concert for Brian Cardall, a family member of hers who was tragically killed about a month ago. In addition to some awesome food and great times with friends and family, a singer named Kalai perfomed a concert in her backyard. It was awesome. The event deserves a post of its own, so more on this concert, later.


#1 Last the best of all the game:

Meeting Trent at the airport with a Cafe Rio salad and our midnight scooter ride through the mountains of Bountiful. Three weeks was just too darn long to be separated. No pictures of this, guys. Some things are just too awesome for anyone else to take a peek at.

Comments

Karina said…
I'm not sure how you did it, but you made travelling sound awesome!

Your home page family picture is gorgeous.
. said…
I have so much to say! Prepare for a long comment. I haven't talked with you in ages!

It makes me so happy to see Lillian with Mom and Dad. And even happier to know how happy it made them! Hilarious that Lillian is trying desperately to escape Dad's grip!

Next, it makes me feel just a T-E-E-N-S-Y bit squooshy to think about you guys in town for the 4th. It was always "our" holiday, right? I really REALLY missed the parade this year so Matt and I are thinking maybe our return trips to Utah involve the 4th from now on. Nowhere else on earth beats their celebration. Not even Texas.

Yay that you ran in the race (apparently, by your tshirts...why didn't we talk about this?)

Sara...no words...except yes...she is the funniest person on the planet. Hands down.

And Ollie and Lillian's tattoos are killing me!

Sorry you all got sick. Glad you're better. And good job on grad school! You will be my inspiration when I do the same thing myself...someday!

Lastly, I do miss me some Cafe Rio. Wish I'd been there. Uh, wait. No I don't. But I'm sure missing you!

Thanks for the awesome updates!
Anaise said…
The turtles on the runway is one of the oddest things I've ever heard about, and in a strange way it makes me happy. If turtles can be thriving and strong right in NYC and have the power to throw JFK on its ear, well . . . hooray for nature!

(Bummer for mom and dad and baby stuck on an airplane)

What a trip--there's nothing like home sweet home.
Steffani said…
I am so sad that my 5 minutes with you didn't make the top 10! Just kidding. But seriously, it is sad we didn't get to be together while you were here. Once you have an extended family, life gets a little more busy, doesn't it? Lilly's pictures are to die for. What a beautiful babe--seriously! I am sad to hear that Sara was friends with Brian Cardall. I was so sick when I heard about his death. What a tragedy! Love you so much! As soon as I save up my own money, I am coming to NY! Steffani
AD said…
Okay, this post makes me want to try to make it to the family reunion...if for nothing else than to see that Lillian! And you! So glad you had such a fabulous trip. Kudos to you for finishing your Master's class.
Camille said…
This post made me so happy. And I think I'm gonna make it to the family reunion, too. I love you so much and this list just made me giggle... and the vision of you at the airport with a cafe rio salad waiting for your love, made me weepy.

xoxo
jweed said…
Love the top 10 theme, Liz. You would make my mom proud. I'm sure that trip wasn't so hunky-dory day-to-day, but it sure sounds worth it. I mean #1, you got to go back to school. (so jealous!) and #2, you got to be reunited with your family, and then your husband. that really is the best. One day soon we are going to get to hang out because yes, WV is much closer to NY than north carolina ever will be. (p.s. do you like my random capitalizations? I do).

Popular posts from this blog

In Singapore Now

For Thad

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...