to BE a pioneer!

On Saturday we joined in with a couple hundred or so of our fellow Mormon friends and celebrated a Palmyra style-Pioneer Day.
Now, I'm used to Pioneer day including the following:
--A day off from work
--A big old parade that I sometimes watched on TV
--Running in the 10K and feeling a little barfy because of the heat
--My sister Jenny waving from a float with a big crown on her head (she was the 1st attendant in the Days of '47 Royalty, don'tcha know)
--A big old rodeo if your name is Trent and you're the girlfriend(s) he had before me
--And maybe ending the night with some illegal fireworks somebody went to Evanston and purchased.
This pioneer day celebration did not include any of the above. But, I think it might have been
even awesome-r, maybe for the sole fact that it held within a stone's throw of the Sacred Grove.
Also, several months ago, Trent and I were asked by some dear ladies in our ward to participate in a "puppet show" about a pioneer family's trek to the west. The puppet show took place in a big white tent and was one of the attractions of the day. Trent was one of the puppets and I was "Momma" one of the real people interacting with the puppets a la Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

This is our final rehearsal before the big show. I'm making my best Lillian face. It just goes to show she doesn't look 100% like her dad after all.

Here's Trent right before the show begins. The red head in the foreground is his puppet, Jesse.

Here's the cast of the show. The man standing on the left is "Papa" although he was about 25 years older than me. Apparently the age difference was not a huge concern for the pioneers...and let me tell you, this show was about keeping it real, gang. My bangs are also doing an awesome job in the humidity.

Here's the puppeteers, doing a bang up job. You can also see Papa's head on the right, sans his hat. I'm just sad I didn't get a picture of "Big Elk", our Stake President, who gave an impromptu and unexpected appearance in our show.

It was a fabulous way to spend the day, although I'm sorry to admit that it kept us from attending this festival as it was held the same day as the Pioneer Extravaganza. Oh well, there's always next year.

In the meantime, we are seriously considering Broadway. It's gonna happen. I can feel it.

Comments

Camille said…
that picture of you had me laughing so hard. I was just-a-snigglin' to myself. HILARIOUS!!!

Wish I could have been there with you. I can't wait to smooch on you in a few weeks!
xoxo
Anaise said…
My mom called on July 24th and I wan't home. She said in her message, "I guess you guys are out celebrating Pioneer Day."

I laughed!

We don't celebrate Pioneer Day here. I thought Pioneer day was unique to Utah and all stater further West, but you and Karina have proved me wrong there. Even though this is the area from which the pioneers were banned, it isn't legal to kill a Mormon ANY MORE. You'd think we could celebrate that! :)
Steffani said…
How fun! You looked so cute as pioneer mama. I love it! Are you really coming in August? We will be in Hawaii until August 9th and then we are finally home. I feel like we've been gone forever this summer! I hope we will be able to get together. Love ya!

Popular posts from this blog

In Singapore Now

For Thad

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...