A good day

Yesterday was Perfect.
Significantly, it was the closest thing
To a perfect day
I've had in a long while.

It's been a stressful several weeks in my life.
People I know experiencing
Divorce and
Loss of faith and
Abandonment of hope and
Health crises and
The effects of others' bad choices.
I feel sad about it.


Yesterday, though, dawned bright and sunny.
The daffodils are all in bloom
And the forsythia popped in golden glory.
Yesterday afternoon,
Trent and I spoke together at Youth Conference.
In the middle of our presentation, I paused,
And felt honored that I get to be by his side
Not only at that moment, but forever.

After we were done signing autographs
(please, not really!)
We went to pick up Lillian who was at our friends' home.
They have a farm of sorts.
And when we arrived Lillian was busy
tromping through the fields and playing with baby chicks
and watering plants with a giant hose.
But not too busy to melt in our arms--just for a moment--
Before she remembered how busy she was
With the hose and the chicks and the fields of newly blushing green.

We got home as the sun began setting
Trent opened all of the windows
So that the warm spring breeze
Could blow his freshness through the house.
While I created something out of lettuce and fresh strawberries
Lillian and Trent worked out in the garden.

Then dinner
Bathtime for Lillian
Story time where we read
Where The Wild Things Are
For the fortieth time this week.
Then quiet--
Some popcorn and a movie
And time, blessed time, for just for the two of us

And when the day was over,
I fell peacefully asleep
In the arms of my dearest friend.


I took this picture from the kitchen window yesterday evening. Lillian is running down the driveway with a swiffer sweeper. Which is, in and of itself, pretty awesome.

Comments

Anaise said…
Oooooohhhhhhhh! I'm breathing deeply after reading that.

Peace.

Beauty.

Yes . . . really peaceful.
totally crying. beautiful. thank u for sharing. i heart u a lot.
Camille said…
that was so beautiful, Lizzie. I don't know what I loved more-- your beautiful words and imagery or Lillian with the swiffer duster??!! ohhh that's so precious.

I've been trying to call you this past week... you've been on my mind constantly and now I know why.

love you.
xo
. said…
You've been on my mind, too. I'm glad you had a good weekend and that things are looking up. Thank you for the beautiful post!

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)