Sunday evening in the summer

Last night as the summer sun slid once again into its perfect place, just resting in the western third of the sky, casting a golden glow over the trees, we went a Sunday evening walk. There is nothing better than a late Sunday summer walk after a good meal and a restful afternoon.

Our darling girl paused for a photograph at the edge of our driveway, ready to go.  Doesn't just the sight of her in those boots make you want to eat her with a spoon?  Those boots are made for walkin', yes sir. We call them her Jessie Boots. We'll tell you more about that, later.
We made our way to a park located at one of the locks of the Erie Canal (do you know what a canal lock is? Shall I regale you with interesting facts and trivia about the lock system of the canal--a feat of engineering? Wait, are you sleeping?...).

We only walked about 10 feet when we had to surrender ourselves to the demands of Lillian's latest favoriate pasttime--throwing rocks in the water. 
We collected our rocks. We found a dock that took us right out to the water's edge. We sat on the edge of that small dock, our fists bulging with tiny-sized rocks, holding on to Lillian lest she get too enthusiastic and choose to hurtle herself into the water as well. And we threw rocks. Rock after rock.

I watched the breeze gently tossing the trees. I felt the warmth of the sunshine on my head and face. I heard the plop of little pebbles hit the water and saw them sink beneath the creamy clear surface of the water. I watched Trent hold Lillian close to him, sheltering her, and marveled at how fatherhood has transformed him; I felt grateful for him, for her, and the golden sunshine that surrounded us.

Oh, life is sweet.

Comments

. said…
Such a beautiful life.
Camille said…
yep.


and that's a CLASSIC picture of trent. I love it!!
jensey said…
Okay....that post we sweet, but the picture of Trent is PRICELESS! Oh how that pictures kills me...please tell him just how funny I think he can be.
Anaise said…
What is it about tiny boots on a tiny girl?

Fabulous.

What a happy evening--what a wonderful life!

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)