Mother Bear

Dear Lady Who Just Yelled at Lillian in the Bagel Store,

To give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you forgot what it is like to be two years old--how difficult it is to stay in your seat and how tempting it is to run and scamper and dance merrily, even in bagel stores. Or, maybe you forgot what it's like to be the mother of a two year old--how difficult it is to help these little ones stay in their seat; how teaching and learning is most certainly a process that requires patience, repetition, as well as the support and encouragement of loving adults who have compassion, empathy, and humor.

But really, I should thank you for helping me discover that there are certain types of confrontation that I am actually not afraid of.  Thank you for helping me realize that there is, in fact, a mother bear that lives inside of me and that I will confront anyone who talks to or treats my daughter inappropriately.

My friends who were with me said I didn't actually yell at you, and that I could have been much more rude, considering how rude you chose to be to my child. I have to rely on their accounts of the event, since I don't quite remember what happened except that I needed to let you know that you could not talk to Lillian that way.

So, thanks. If you hadn't yelled at her, if you hadn't gotten in her face, I wouldn't have learned that important lesson about myself.

Sincerely,
Liz

Dear Bee Who Stung Me 10 Minutes After The Confrontation,

Seriously? Is this Karma?

Sincerely,
Liz

PS My thumb is still numb. I hope that was worth dying for.

PSS To the readers, not the bumblebee: My debut on http://www.hey-nonny.com/ is today. Check it out!

Comments

Camille said…
wait, are you freaking kidding me? tell me that someone did not yell at your kid? I'm an Aunt Bear, too, you know. Seriously, stuff like that makes me peee-0hhhd.

And bees like honey...and bears eat honey, so maybe that's why??

And I'm sorry. And I wanna break outta can of whhooopa!!.
Cade said…
Oh I wish she would come and yell at my kids. I need a good excersise in rumbling. I think my skills are getting rusty and that's the sort of thing that makes me hungry for frosted flakes.... It "brings out the tiger in me!"

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)