Hello, sunshine
It's the last day of the year. For the first time in 20 days (or more) the sun is shining outside my window. This makes me happy. But the lack of sunshine in my days has been vexing. In speaking with my dad it, he finally gave me the word to describe the effect that no sunshine has on the soul...it makes one disconsolate.
Of course, there are advantages to a lack of sunshine. For example, while riding in the car yesterday Lillian said, 'Mine eyes hurt, mom. What is that?" "That's the sun, honey," I responded. Then I thought, oh, my. Has it really been so long that she doesn't even know what the sun is anymore? Obviously, when you have no sun shining in your face, you don't know how to squint. Well, maybe that's not a bad thing, you know. So I started thinking of all the blessings that come with a lack of sunshine.Think of the wrinkle lines we're missing by the lack of sunshine! Think of the savings on sunglasses! Think of the damage to her eyes Lillian has avoided! Think of how happy we'd be if we were Cullens! No one could pick up on our glittery-vampire-ness.
See what I mean? Serious advantages.
Today, however, there are blue skies and golden rays. And I have decided this is a sign that good things are in store in the coming year.
(Were you ever a sign seeker in high school? You know, like when all the lights turn green on the way to school, you know it's a sign you'll have a good day; or when the seating arrangement gets changed and the boy you like now sits by you, you know it's a sign he'll probably ask you out. Did you ever do that? Yes? Clearly, I did)
So, now it's time to pause and say our good-byes to 2010. As we do, here's a recap on the year for each member of our family:
--For me, I learned a lot about myself this year. For instance, I discovered a great hairstylist who...wait for it...has a salon 2 minutes from my house (another sign? yes, I think so). Farewell, bad hair, forever! I also discovered that I really hate waking up early in the morning. I learned that I love to cook (read all about that at www.hey-nonny.com). I still love teaching children, whether it's my Primary class or a student I tutor or Lillian the Fabulous. And, of course, all that about the sunshine. That's an important one, too.
--Trent says, "it was a good year. A really good year. I don't have any complaints about it." (This is a terrible time to ask him this question since he is, at this very moment, sitting on the couch across from me working online with particularly difficult client. He's trying to be nice and politically correct with that answer. Maybe we'll come back to him later).
--2010 was a banner year for Lillian. She learned to talk. She grew long golden curls on her perfect head. She fell in love with Trent, with Woody and Buzz, as well as "Ree-punzel" and "Flynnlyder" (Flynn Ryder).
And now 2011 is upon us. We have high hopes (big apple pie in the sky hopes!) for the coming year. But most of all, we're grateful for the life we have, the family we love, and one another. What more could we want or hope for than a continuance of what we've already got?
Happy New Year.
May yours (and mine) be filled with sunshine.
Of course, there are advantages to a lack of sunshine. For example, while riding in the car yesterday Lillian said, 'Mine eyes hurt, mom. What is that?" "That's the sun, honey," I responded. Then I thought, oh, my. Has it really been so long that she doesn't even know what the sun is anymore? Obviously, when you have no sun shining in your face, you don't know how to squint. Well, maybe that's not a bad thing, you know. So I started thinking of all the blessings that come with a lack of sunshine.Think of the wrinkle lines we're missing by the lack of sunshine! Think of the savings on sunglasses! Think of the damage to her eyes Lillian has avoided! Think of how happy we'd be if we were Cullens! No one could pick up on our glittery-vampire-ness.
See what I mean? Serious advantages.
Today, however, there are blue skies and golden rays. And I have decided this is a sign that good things are in store in the coming year.
(Were you ever a sign seeker in high school? You know, like when all the lights turn green on the way to school, you know it's a sign you'll have a good day; or when the seating arrangement gets changed and the boy you like now sits by you, you know it's a sign he'll probably ask you out. Did you ever do that? Yes? Clearly, I did)
So, now it's time to pause and say our good-byes to 2010. As we do, here's a recap on the year for each member of our family:
--For me, I learned a lot about myself this year. For instance, I discovered a great hairstylist who...wait for it...has a salon 2 minutes from my house (another sign? yes, I think so). Farewell, bad hair, forever! I also discovered that I really hate waking up early in the morning. I learned that I love to cook (read all about that at www.hey-nonny.com). I still love teaching children, whether it's my Primary class or a student I tutor or Lillian the Fabulous. And, of course, all that about the sunshine. That's an important one, too.
--Trent says, "it was a good year. A really good year. I don't have any complaints about it." (This is a terrible time to ask him this question since he is, at this very moment, sitting on the couch across from me working online with particularly difficult client. He's trying to be nice and politically correct with that answer. Maybe we'll come back to him later).
--2010 was a banner year for Lillian. She learned to talk. She grew long golden curls on her perfect head. She fell in love with Trent, with Woody and Buzz, as well as "Ree-punzel" and "Flynnlyder" (Flynn Ryder).
And now 2011 is upon us. We have high hopes (big apple pie in the sky hopes!) for the coming year. But most of all, we're grateful for the life we have, the family we love, and one another. What more could we want or hope for than a continuance of what we've already got?
Happy New Year.
May yours (and mine) be filled with sunshine.
Comments
Happy 2011!
Little Lillian is so cute. I can just see it in the way you write about her. :)