Of Snowmen and Christmas Trees

December has blown in with gusts of white, billowing snow, keeping us inside, snuggling down for a warm winter's nap. With winter solstice so close, it's dark by 4:15. By 6:00 p.m., we feel ready for bed.

We haven't spent all of our time sleeping, or wanting sleep, however. About a week ago, we joined some friends for a Christmas moment that I've dreamed about for a long time: we went to a Christmas Tree Farm (because they exist here. Do they exist where you live?) and we cut down our own tree.




And to think, all that charm and beauty (and a lovely tree besides), and only one major melt down from a little two year old who does not like being cold.


After the trip to the Christmas Tree Farm, we realized Lillian needed some serious snow gear. Once we hooked our girl up with some snow pants and other stuff, we decided it was time to help her build her first snowman.



It was cold, but it was magical. Evidenced by the look of awe captured here:

No matter how dark or how cold, winter time does have moments that are marvelous, don't you think?

Comments

Camille said…
oooo I'm sooo glad you posted because I was getting worried we weren't going to see any more cutey Lillian posts now that you were on Hey Nonny!! I loved this SO much. Ohhhh I've always wanted to cut down my own Christmas tree and those pics of Lillian with the snowman are so precious. She's just darling, Lizzie. She's at my most favorite age and I bet she'd make me laugh my head off.

I love you so much. And you're sooo beautiful I can't even get over it.
Rhyetta Musser said…
Yes, I will too admit there are magical moments of winter. I've always hated the cold, but a snow-covered landscape is breathtakingly beautiful. And it can be so quiet sometimes when I walk to the mailbox; it's amazing.

This year what was so cool was that we cut down our own Christmas tree from our own land! From our own woods, Matt and the kids just hiked out there and found one. We trimmed it a whole bunch and it's awesome! We haven't had a real live big Christmas tree in years.

The snowman is excellent. Missouri hasn't had that much snow yet, but we probably will.

Some of the most magical moments are sitting by the fire. Do you have a fireplace? Our wood stove has been the greatest thing; we all gather around it for breakfast, for stories, for sewing. We just stare and stare at the magic of the fire. It keeps our house warm too!
Anaise said…
Lillian's face is priceless!

And I so agree that the right gear makes the weather so fun. You should see our coat closet . . . naw, you shouldn't. Nobody should. Just take my word for it that we have gear--lots of gear.
Judy said…
Great pictures! I love how you give us a taste of life in New York...something about that state has always fascinated me.
Jake and Julie said…
I love the christmas tree farms. Cutting down a tree was a tradition which began in NY for us. Now we hike out into a national forest where you can cut down your own tree. We bundled Oliver up and took him out in his sled this year. So much fun.
. said…
How cool that you cut down your own tree! I would love to do that! I mean, I would love to have Matt do that for me so I didn't have to go out in the cold. (I'm such a baby.)
It's so fun to see pictures of your sweet girl. What fun traditions you're starting with her!

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)