Doesn't get much better than THAT!

Me, my kids, and my baby girl at "Our Town"
A couple of weeks ago, one of my former students emailed me to let me know that a group of kids from my AP Language class were getting together to attend another high school's production of my favorite play, "Our Town," and asked me if I wanted to join them.

Can I just say how utterly, totally, and completely delighted I was? I heartily agreed to meet them, I talked busier-than-ever-this-time-of-year-Trent into it (while a big fan of theatre in general, he is not, generally, a big fan of High School Theatre...it really is sorta a theatre experience unto itself), and last Thursday we all went to the show.

As a teacher, I don't think it gets much better than experiences like this. I love that they loved the play I love (how about that sentence?). I love that they are staying in touch with me. I love that during intermission we all talked and laughed and reminisced about our former class. I wanted to hug each one of them for letting me be a part of their lives.

So... if you're thinking that the world is going to pot along with the economy, and that teenagers in general are weird and that our future generation is pretty much messed up, know this: in the heart of Upstate New York at a school filled with difficulty, violence, and disorder, there's a group of kids who strive to live the simple and good principles for a happy life. I know them and I got to teach them for a year.
Oh, I love them.

Comments

Anaise said…
First of all, what a beautiful family portrait. You are beautiful and Sara really is outstanding!

I'm glad you and your "kids" had a good time. It IS reassuring to hear a testimonial about good teens!
Packer Family said…
I am so happy you got to finally have a good experience with teaching back there. It just shows what an amazing job you were doing--even when you didn't know it! Love you so much. Steffani
Blondie said…
I'm not sure Trent was super interested in High School Theater when he was IN high school.
I remember on opening night of the school musical senior year, just as the curtain was about to go up, he turned to me and asked, "What is this play even about?"
Camille said…
ohhhh that makes me so happy for you. What a gift! now, if you had a bag of chippy chips, then it really would have been something.
Jen said…
Liz, you are amazing. I am not surprised that there is a group of students who realized the jewel they had in a teacher, in you. Yeah, you got to spend the time with them and yeah to the joy it brought you. And may I say, you are quite the writer and I simply can't wait for your book.
AD said…
What a marvelously rewarding experience! And I love Our Town, too. We should start a club.

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)