When Daddy Comes Home

Yesterday I hosted a lovely family of four children for a home-schooling extravaganza. The highlight was teaching math (yes, math!) to 6 year old Atticus who can count by fives in such rapid fire that you can't help but smile while he does it. Here is a copy of the math problem he wrote all by himeself yesterday. The best part of it is "tuggether," don't you agree?




After they left, Lillian and I sort of stared at each other. All our errands were done, the house was clean, naps were over, and we had several hours ahead. Trent has once again been working around the clock, and around 4:00 p.m. each day, I begin to feel like I'm simply begging the clock to speed by, waiting for him to get home. Since lately I don't see him until 8 or 9 or even 10:00, it seems a silly waste of an evening. I don't like feeling that way. I'm working on how to get past it.

But at 4:45, three quarters of the way through the Oprah exclusive and just as I finished ironing, the phone rang. It was Trent. And he was on his way home. And it was before 5:00. I was very delighted. Days like this are very, very rare.

He walked in the door, weathered and weary from a day in court. He doesn't like being in court. It's really not as glamorous as it appears on "Law and Order," believe me.

We enjoyed some homemade strawberry and blueberry smoothies while I told him about my day and he gave me the run down on today's case. Then he suggested we go for a walk. I said I was in the mood for something very unhealthy from Hungry's, the local greasy spoon.

And that was that. We jumped in the CRV and were off to Hungry's. We parked the car, hooked up Lillian in the Bjorn, and went in. Hungry's is a hot dog stand. They make excellent Philly cheese steak sandwiches. We ordered, the nice guy in charge made our meal, and we ventured outside again to enjoy our dinner underneath the biggest tree in the Village. Trent loves trees. When they're really beautiful, he pats them and lets them know.

"You're doing a great job," he says to this tree with a strong pat on its ample trunk. I smile as I sit down on the wrought iron park bench and begin to enjoy the sandwich that we're sharing. Lillian feasts on an apple/prune blend and we discover that she likes squash; we discuss life, the universe, and everything as we sit in the waning sunlight under the protection of the giant tree.

After that it is time for a walk. I regret my choice of flip flops, because I can tell that Trent means business with this walk. He is moving fast. We bustle over to the Erie Canal where there is a path that will take us all the way to Buffalo should we desire it.

As we walk, it's impossible not to feel the euphoria that the green leaves, bright flowers, and water from the Canal tend to inspire. The day I first arrived to this area, we took this very walk. It's my favorite view of the Village. And ever since, we've had so many happy memories on that canal path. This, the first time we're enjoying the warmth of spring on the path with sweet Lillian in tow, is no different.

As the sun is setting we find our way back to the CRV. Lillian is so in love with Trent, I'm almost a little jealous of their relationship. She smiles and flirts with him like he's her boyfriend. He's totally taken with her.


This is Lillian and Trent last Saturday. I came home from my morning jog to find them busy with yard care. Please note: Trent has dressed her himself. He's also hooked her up with some awesome toys should she need it. Please note the hat: slightly askew, just enough to be sassy.

We make it home just as the sun sinks behind the horizon. I feed Lillian and hand her over to Trent. The sound of the lullaby he sings to her wafts in to where I'm sitting and again I smile contentedly.

A girl and her daddy. Even though she's still so little, I can see that they have a unique relationship, these two. She lights up when he walks into the room. She flaps her arms and moves her head and makes little noises in an attempt to get his attention. When he recognizes her advances, he smiles and readily responds, wrapping her in his arms and smothering her in kisses, loudly proclaiming, "I LOVE THIS BABY!"

Evenings like this are hard to beat. And I'm grateful. Grateful that he's here and that she's here and that we have each other.

Comments

Diane said…
What a love story. Loved it.
. said…
I'm so glad you had a nice day. Spring in New York + brisk walk on the tow path + Liz, Trent & Lillian = GOOOD TIMES. Wish I were there with you!
Anaise said…
What a good evening . . . daddies . . . they just make all the difference, don't they?!?!
jaimey said…
Aww. This was such a sweet post. :) I love the pictures and your descriptions of Lillian. I hope I can meet her in person! And of course, I'd love to see you when you come to Utah! The thing is, I'm only going to be here through the end of May-beginning of June. My plans are somewhat changed now . . . when are you coming out?
Steffani said…
I love that walk too! I ran on it when we were there! So beautiful and it was fun to imagine you in your adorable Pittsford. What a fantastic place, and what a fantastic moment to capture in your "true life." Moments like these make all the other stuff worth it.
Dangcutekids said…
What a sweet tribute. I think Lillian is a lucky little muchacha.
AD said…
Liz, I so remember those early days of mothering when I wondered, "So what do I DO now?" to pass the time until Jon came home. And like what I think I read into this, I didn't want to be dependent on him being home to feel content...But there is a certain joy that comes from being together as a complete family and you captured it so beautifully.
Happy Mother's Day!
blissful. great post. lillian is grace defined.

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)