Festival Spirit

Saturday morning dawned bright, crisp, and clear. Trent's previously planned annual trip to the Adirondaks was unexpectedly cancelled and we found ourselves with a whole day with nothing but time to enjoy each other and the beautiful weather. After catching up on some sleep, fitting in our morning run, and getting a little gussied up (it's always nice to dress up a little and then catch my husband checking me out), we ventured forth to a new festival that we had never been to before.

The festival was like the many others we've attended. It was, yet again, out in the boonies of Upstate to a place we'd never heard of. This time the celebration was in honor of--what else--apples and pumpkins. Put 'em together and you get the Apple Umpkin Festival, invented around 1986 by Mrs. Willa Barker who wanted to give her town something to celebrate.



First of all, here's my new hair cut. It might be the first one that I like since moving to NY. Lillian is shown here cuddling with her favorite squishy toy. She likes to hug anything soft lately, and then smiles at you and says "Ahhh" like she knows she's being super gentle and special.



We are always as giddy as can be at festivals. Really, what is not to love about a festival, regardless of what is being celebrated? We just want to thank Mrs. Barker for being so witty as to put apples and pumpkins together and giving them a celebration all their own.



Here is Trent as we are about to enter the festival entrance. The reason that you know we are in Upstate Wyoming  and not the Big Sky version of Wyoming (because there are two Wyomings, don't you know) is all the rules and signs next to the welcome sign. We figured if it were Wyoming State there wouldn't be all the rules, just a dude with a gun that saying, "tell me what to do and I'll shoot you." That's not how we roll in Upstate NY Wyoming. There's got to be rules, rules, rules. And the rules must be posted!



We saw some butterflies hatching out of their chrysalis. This was a highlight for me. Lillian also thought it was groovy. I think.

Lillian held on to her yellow balloon all day long. I sorta sang that Janeen Jacobs Brady song in my head every time I saw her: "When I grow up I want to be a mother/And have a family/...And I will love them all day long/and bring them cookies and milk and yellow balloons."

It was a great day.

And if you ever come to visit, we will
Take you to a festival
And give you a balloon, too.

Comments

Anaise said…
What a lovely day--you guys take such fun day trips all the time!
jensey said…
Funny b/c I was going to call you on Saturday thinking that Trent would be hiking....last second I changed my mind in case he was home having some family time:) Guess my gut was right! You look fabulous and I do love your hair cut!
Steffani said…
So fun! I love stuff like that you are lucky that Trent likes it too! Adorable haircut! You look great and Lillian is adorable. Did you pick the yellow balloon or was it just an eternal coincidence? I love NY and Mrs. Barker. What a fun thing! How is teaching?
Anonymous said…
Awww. Liz. You ah so cuhute. i like yoh new hayecut. it is vehy cuhute. I love you!!!!!


Please, take me to the festival with you soon!!!!

(Maybe the Lilac Festival...)

:)

Love,
Maddy

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)