Good-bye 2009, He-LLO 2010
It's New Year's Eve.
In a turn of events which answered the simplest prayer--that of longing for the lights and familiarity of Temple Square--New Year's found us here, at the Washington DC temple. The temple is stunning, of course, and the Christmas decor was unparalleled. As I walked through the grounds arm in arm with Trent we could hear the strains of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Lillian was skipping and trotting ahead of us. The lights glowed, the choir sang, the temple shined. My eyes filled with tears of gratitude for the blessing of experiencing such a perfect moment.
It's the eve of a new year and a new decade. Hard NOT to take a moment and consider where you've been and where you're heading, don't you think?
I remember with crystal clarity where I was 10 years ago on this night. I was at Steffani's house with her parents and all of her siblings, awaiting to see if Y2K was going to be a great myth or a stunning reality. When midnight came, Steffani sent Coleman, her then-3-year-old little boy, over to give me a kiss. It was a perfect way to usher in the new millenium, being with people that I loved so much.

10 years later, so much and so little have changed. Now, I have Trent. I have Lillian. I live in New York. We're spending New Year's in Washington DC at the home of Thomas and Vanessa, Trent's wonderful brother and sister-in-law. We love them. We love spending time with them and their darling children who dote on Lillian.
On the road trip down here, in between stopping 17 times for all the messy diapers, the food breaks, the pull-over-the-car-I-can't-find-the-dang-binkie stops, and a crazy impulse run to a KMart somewhere in the middle of Pennsylvania to purchase a portable DVD player, Trent and I talked about our goals for 2010.
Like always, we have grand aspirations to be healthy, be fit, be more dedicated and more loving, to be better.
Tonight as we prepare to usher in the New Year, I will also add this resolution to my expanding list:
In 2010, I will be grateful. Grateful for what I've been given and what I have not been given. Grateful for that which I bear and that which I do not. Grateful for the peace, contentment, goodness, kindness, compassion, sacrifice, love, and honor which continues to exist all around me.
May your 2010 be marvelous.
In a turn of events which answered the simplest prayer--that of longing for the lights and familiarity of Temple Square--New Year's found us here, at the Washington DC temple. The temple is stunning, of course, and the Christmas decor was unparalleled. As I walked through the grounds arm in arm with Trent we could hear the strains of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Lillian was skipping and trotting ahead of us. The lights glowed, the choir sang, the temple shined. My eyes filled with tears of gratitude for the blessing of experiencing such a perfect moment.
It's the eve of a new year and a new decade. Hard NOT to take a moment and consider where you've been and where you're heading, don't you think?
I remember with crystal clarity where I was 10 years ago on this night. I was at Steffani's house with her parents and all of her siblings, awaiting to see if Y2K was going to be a great myth or a stunning reality. When midnight came, Steffani sent Coleman, her then-3-year-old little boy, over to give me a kiss. It was a perfect way to usher in the new millenium, being with people that I loved so much.
10 years later, so much and so little have changed. Now, I have Trent. I have Lillian. I live in New York. We're spending New Year's in Washington DC at the home of Thomas and Vanessa, Trent's wonderful brother and sister-in-law. We love them. We love spending time with them and their darling children who dote on Lillian.
On the road trip down here, in between stopping 17 times for all the messy diapers, the food breaks, the pull-over-the-car-I-can't-find-the-dang-binkie stops, and a crazy impulse run to a KMart somewhere in the middle of Pennsylvania to purchase a portable DVD player, Trent and I talked about our goals for 2010.
Like always, we have grand aspirations to be healthy, be fit, be more dedicated and more loving, to be better.
Tonight as we prepare to usher in the New Year, I will also add this resolution to my expanding list:
In 2010, I will be grateful. Grateful for what I've been given and what I have not been given. Grateful for that which I bear and that which I do not. Grateful for the peace, contentment, goodness, kindness, compassion, sacrifice, love, and honor which continues to exist all around me.
May your 2010 be marvelous.
Comments
I love you.
I must be famous! Now I'm even on other moms blogs!