Thanksgiving and some Church History

This Thanksgiving, my wonderful sister, Jenny, and her family joined us here in Upstate for feasting, festivities, and fun. The only thing missing was a trip to see the lights twinkling on Temple Square. We made up for that loss by visiting all of the Church sites which are not next door, but close enough for a drive.

The awesome thing about the Church sites here is that no one from this area thinks they are the bomb.com the way that Mormons around the world think they are. In fact, we've heard missionaries explain that when they tell the story of Joseph Smith and the plates and then say (one would think a little breathlessly for dramatic effect), "and it all happened so close by... in... Palmyra!", those listening to the missionary discussions have been known to wrinkle their noses and say, "really? Palmyra? (said with the lilt of disdain) Can anything good come out of Palmyra?"

With all due respect to the kind folks from Palmyra, the answer is, well, not much that is awesome happens in Palmyra. Excepting Joseph, and a world wide religion, the publication of the Book of Mormon, and, well, the Erie Canal. They have good ice cream, too.

Take heart, Palmyra. They said the same stuff about a carpenter from Nazareth.

Another favorite about Palmyra is the inevitable discussion we have with those who are not of our faith, but who are from this area. When they find out we are Mormons, it's usually followed by some variation of the following:

"Oh, you're Mormons? Hmm. You know, your church started here."

We like to entertain ourselves with possible ways to respond to this statement, ranging from the sincere to the sarcastic. We like to crack ourselves up, in fact, with responses like:

"Shut up! It did?" or
"Are you kidding me?" or
"That is BRAND NEW INFORMATION!"

Usually, lest you think us much too snarky, we say, "I know! Can you even believe that?!"
In any case, I digress. We worried about Jenny and co. coming here in late November since Upstate NY is not quite fabulous this time of year. It's actually quite cold and grey, truth be told. But once they were here, we realized our worries were all for naught. Being together and enjoying Thanksgiving (which really is all about family, right?) was all we needed for a perfectly lovely time.


I'm including this picture because this child is just too cute to be left out. This is the only shot of Lillian inside. She spent the rest of her time galavanting around outside. She likes to be on the move, constantly.
This is outside of the Whitmer Farm in Fayette. The majority of the Book of Mormon was translated here and the Church was organized here on April 6, 1830. It was in the middle of nowhere back then, and it's not quite become a booming metropolis; hence, you can really get a feel for what it looked like back in the day.

Lillian and her Dad, heading toward the Sacred Grove. I took this picture standing in the frame home where the Smith Family lived for several years before losing the home and returning to the log cabin. Being here and realizing what they went through makes you admire them, especially Lucy Mack Smith, who responded consistently with faith.



Dave, Harrison, Lillian, Trent, Joseph, Elizabeth, and Jenny, freezing their patooties off in front of the Joseph Smith log home.

As I type this, I'm realizing this Thanksgiving was an opportunity to experience and reflect upon the places and events that have helped shape the foundations of my faith. Things for which I am very grateful for, indeed.
Here's hoping your Thanksgiving was marvelous!

Comments

Anaise said…
Out of all the lovely things you wrote about, I'm just weirded out by Elizabeth being so grown-up because I remember when she was born and the last time I saw her I think she was a toddler, and . . . it's just astonishing to see kids grow up when you aren't there in person to see it happen.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Steffani said…
I love this post! What good came out of Palmyra? or Nazareth? I love to think about it. I am glad you had a fun time with family over the holidays. How great to all be together.
Camille said…
I loooved that idea about Palmyra and Nazareth! I really hadn't thought about that before. Thanks for always taking my brain to higher levels :) I'm glad you had a happy thanksgiving. Maybe some day I'll get my fanny out there...
Jan said…
Hi Liz,

I am so glad we have connected again as well!

I loved this post! Your wonderful sense of humor (loved the ways you came up with of responding to the locals) as well as your strong testimony both shone through beautifully.

That little Lillian is just the cutest thing! I love the picture of her on your lap. What a fun thing to see you with your child after all those talks we had (and you look great by the way)!

I also love the pictures of the Church History sites. I love to visit those sites. Maybe I will have to come visit some time and we could go for a drive...
jaimey said…
Hi Liz! Sorry to leave you an unrelated comment, but I don't think I have your correct e-mail address anymore. :( I was wondering if you'd mind being a reference for me as I'm in the process of applying for teaching jobs. I still have that letter of recommendation you wrote for me way back when . . . would you mind if I use it still? I'm not sure what to put for your contact info (in case someone wants to call you as a reference). Let me know . . . my e-mail is jmb52@aol.com. Thanks, Liz!!
Jen said…
Thank you for a lovely and memorable Thanksgiving. We loved being with you and making memories. We miss our baby Lillian and the yummy apple cider. I loved your comment on the savior and nazareth. You always leave such thought provoking words. xoxox

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)