Heaven on Earth



We are home.

After a whirlwind of planes, trains, and automobiles that took me from Northern Italy to Switzerland to Milan and then over Iceland and Greenland (only their airspace...curse you, ash cloud hanging over Europe) to Texas and finally to New York, I am home.

Not much has changed in the two-almost three-weeks I've been gone. Our grass is greener (thankfully), our azaelas have bloomed, and my bed is--I can now say confidently--better than any five star resort in Western Europe.


It's good to be home. I feel...centered, somehow. Refocused. In love--with my husband, my child, and the life that I live.

Monday afternoon found me on top of the Swiss Alps, overlooking a valley that was, to me, the literal representation of heaven on earth. Wildflowers bloomed in the glacier valley, waterfalls cascaded down the sheer rock face of the giant Alps, the sun shone generously in a blue sky, and turquoise waters made their way through over rock and sand in tiny streams. The only sound was the distant ringing of bells worn by the cows who grazed intermittently in meadows.


I looked out on that vista and felt peace. I thought of the baby I left behind, who was happily enjoying time with her cousins. My heart swelled with love for my family. I felt rested. I felt right.

By Friday morning I held my precious baby in my arms again. Her eyes lit up when she saw me and her face broke into a generous smile. Last night at dinner Lillian couldn't get enough of Trent and me. She kept looking back and forth at us saying, "Daddy! Mommy!" as though she was as delighted as we were to be all three of us together again.

Sometimes you have to go away to remember that the life you have is the life you want, the life you wouldn't change even if you could.

Yes, heaven on earth is in Switzerland. And here, too.

Comments

Judy said…
Wow, I so love the picture of you contemplating the Alps...
jensey said…
I want to hear all about the trip! Call me once you're settled in to your routine.

Wendy
Steffani said…
Absolutely beautiful! I love that. I can't believe the picture with you and the alps is real. How can it be? How great to get some rest and renewal and to feel the joy of coming home. There really is no greater joy!
AD said…
What fun. I'm so happy you had a chance to renew yourself! It looks and sounds amazing. What a great experience for Lillian to be with her cousins. Happiness all the way around!
Camille said…
LOOOOVE IT!! I really am dying to see the pic montage so get to it rapido! just kidding... I'm sure you're exhausted and having fun smooching on Lillian. Seriously I just love that you got to see this place and loved it as much as I did-- not that it has anything to do with me, but I'm just so happy!
love you! and I loved seeing you while you were here. If we ever meet again it will be zion to me... maybe in interlaken, das es gut no?
Jen said…
Loved your comments. So thrilled for you, you were able to experience such beauty. Dave and I loved the experience as well and now we can chat with someone who totally gets it because they were there too. Yeah for renewal of spirit and soul. xoxo Can't wait to hear ALL about it!

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)