The Lone Star State
I am in Texas.
When Trent found out that his law firm was sending him to Italy and that I was invited for the ride, we immediately went into overdrive with what we could do to make sure that Lillian was in a situation that was perfect for her. Taking her to Europe with us seemed insane (and after my flight here, I truly can't even imagine the nightmare of carting her around the Roman Empire).
After talking about it, researching our options, talking to friends and family, and praying our hearts out, it seemed that the best option would be to take Lillian where she would be loved and watched over with great care in a place where family was abundant. We had two options: Utah, or Texas. Since I already had plans to visit my sisters in Texas, it seemed like the perfect choice.
And when, within minutes of our arrival, I heard the giggles of delight coming from Lillian as she played with her cousin, Ella, I knew I had made the right choice. Lillian loves it here. I can fly across the ocean now with a peaceful heart.
The extra is that I get to spend time with my precious sisters. Last night I went to dinner with Julie and Trish and laughed until I almost wet my pants; the next moment we had a deep heart to heart discussion about the importance of spending as much time as is possible with our children, a sacrifice I'm facing as I ponder discontinuing my master's degree and my teaching career. I trust these women with my heart, as I have done countless times, and always they have honored my choices while guiding me with their examples.
As we were leaving the restaurant we took this picture, and doubled over until tears streamed down our faces, like we did when we were five years old, like we did when we were fifteen, and like we now do in our thirties. We stopped off at Target and I told the checkout guy that we were triplets and Julie rolled her eyes and I told her that it was her destiny with me so she might as well just embrace it. And then we laughed again.
After scheduling my trip here, I asked Trish if she could hook me up with a good hairdresser. She willingly complied. I spent a good 25 minutes of the three hours it took to repair my hair asking the hairdresser why she thought no one in the good state of New York knew how to do my hair. She didn't have any answers; she just kept putting in the foils. What emerged was hair I haven't seen since I left Utah three years ago.
What is it about women and their hair? Who knows? But good hair makes me happy. So there you go.
In any case, here we are, happy in the arms of our beloved family and friends. The biggest downer of the trip is that we had to miss my sister Camille's baby shower today. When Lillian awoke this morning it was clear she was sickened from overstimulation and travel and upheaval. She's slept for hours, and watched Sesame Street and let me hold her far longer than usual.
In the meantime, I've eaten Matt's famous pancakes and loved on my nieces and nephews and missed my sister Camille.
As I ran to the grocery store this morning to pick up some Pedialyte for Lillian, I saw a giant Lone Star State Flag flying proudly in the breeze. It occurred to me that I don't even know what the New York State flag looks like--I don't think they hang it anywhere, truly--so as I saw that flag waving I felt a surge of love for this place that has brought my sisters so much happiness.
And a safe place for my baby
And blond hair for me.
Texas, I love you.
Comments
that post made me bawl. partly jealousy over dinner and laughing and partyly b/c I'm excited to see you tomorrow and partly because I have so much estrogen in me I don't know what to do with it, and partly because I'm so sad yesterday didn't work out, and partly because I really want you to move to Texas. it would be sooo fun.