Stating the Obvious, revisited

Last night as we settled in to watch Young Victoria, I said to Trent,

"I think we should watch this with the subtitles on, for no other reason than it's hard to understand what they say."

Trent immediately started laughing, like really really laughing. But it was the silent sort of laugh where you just smile and shake and tears come to your eyes and still you laugh.

I did not think my comment merited such an outburst.

"What?" I queried. "What is so funny?"

After choking down his silent sobs, he repeated: "'I think we should put on subtitles for no other reason than it's hard to understand what they're saying....' That's like saying, I'm going to put on sunglasses for no other reason than it's bright outside or...I'm going to put on this swimming suit for no other reason than I want to go swimming or...."

He then dissolved into laughter again.

Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, I must admit that I consider myself very precise when I speak; and yet, Trent is always able to outsmart me when it comes to words.

We laughed our fool heads off, thinking of other ways to state the obvious.

Anybody else want to give it a try?

Oh, and yes, we highly recommend that movie.

2 days later...

I write this blog for no other reason than to share my thoughts...
I took a bath for no other reason than to get clean...
Our child sprayed windex in her face for no other reason than she really digs spray bottles (true story)....
Hmm. Maybe our humor just isn't funny to anyone else. That's okay, WE'LL KEEP GOING!
Trent laughs his head off for no other reason than he thinks I'm hilarious...
We laugh for no other reason than we think we are funny...

Comments

Camille said…
I've missed you.. haven't heard from you in a while. Is everything good?? I'm glad you loved this movie. Alfer and I totally got into it!
Karina said…
Funny. But I don't think it's stating the obvious, I don't think it's the same thing. Now I feel like a dork, like that might make Trent laugh:) I realize that I am a subtitle dork, though. I always want them on.
Judy said…
I'm commenting on this blog for no other reason than to let you know I enjoy reading your blog...
Anaise said…
You could have wanted the subtitles for other reasons.

We watch all our movies with subtitles. My favorites are the ones that include things like "birds chirping" or "night sounds" or "distant traffic noises." Those always crack me up.
Steffani said…
OH MY GOSH! Me and my mom adore YOUNG VICTORIA---it's one of the best movies ever!


---Coleman---
Jake and Julie said…
We laughed because you are both funny and Trent is T.U.F.F. tuff.
We miss our F.U.N. fun neighbors.

Popular posts from this blog

In Singapore Now

For Thad

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...