Best Laid Plans

You know how some times, despite your best intentions, things just don't turn out how you planned? This is my husband, and no, he isn't dead, just suffering the ravages of what we're hoping is a 24 hour flu. Truthfully, he's typically a picture of health. He really rarely gets sick, but when he does, he goes down in a blaze of glory.
He went down in said blaze about 1:45 this afternoon.
I think he had some grand plans for Mother's Day. In fact, he turned down a couple of dinner invitations, delayed a church meeting, and even set out some chicken this morning, all in preparation of what must of been a fantastic dinner plan for my first "official" Mother's Day.
The day, instead, went down like this: after overworking and over-running yesterday, we dragged our sorry, tired selves out of bed for early church, and, once there, ran around like maniacs trying to get our various responsibilities accomplished. At 1:00 we went to the blessing of friend's baby...and just as the meeting was ending, Trent turned a pretty interesting shade of green.
He tried to fight it off, but it was a no go. By 3:00 p.m. all he wanted was a blanket, a pillow, and some sleep. I thanked him profusely for the gift certificate for a maternity massage he thoughtfully picked up as a present for me, but by then he was fading fast.
Am I disappointed? Interestingly, not at all. In fact, it's been pretty fun for me today to take care of Trent. If I know anything well, lately, it's how to quell and control the nausea. And after all, it's hard to be selfish when taking care of the man who, at the height of my out-of-control pregnancy sickness, literally picked me up off the bathroom floor (several times!) and who would still snuggle with me even when the sweatshirt I'd been wearing for 3 days smelled a bit like throw-up. Taking care of him is the best sort of pay back.
The truth is, all of this caretaking is really what a day celebrating mothers (and women in general--which is how I've always viewed Mother's day) is all about. Women are born with an innate sense of care taking and concern, as well as an ability to nurture. Perhaps it is when these innate gifts go unused that we are most frustrated. Although women sometimes get tired, and sometimes that unselfish serving maxes us out, I feel we are truly at our best when in the service of someone who needs us.
What a great reminder today of what it's all about.
He went down in said blaze about 1:45 this afternoon.
I think he had some grand plans for Mother's Day. In fact, he turned down a couple of dinner invitations, delayed a church meeting, and even set out some chicken this morning, all in preparation of what must of been a fantastic dinner plan for my first "official" Mother's Day.
The day, instead, went down like this: after overworking and over-running yesterday, we dragged our sorry, tired selves out of bed for early church, and, once there, ran around like maniacs trying to get our various responsibilities accomplished. At 1:00 we went to the blessing of friend's baby...and just as the meeting was ending, Trent turned a pretty interesting shade of green.
He tried to fight it off, but it was a no go. By 3:00 p.m. all he wanted was a blanket, a pillow, and some sleep. I thanked him profusely for the gift certificate for a maternity massage he thoughtfully picked up as a present for me, but by then he was fading fast.
Am I disappointed? Interestingly, not at all. In fact, it's been pretty fun for me today to take care of Trent. If I know anything well, lately, it's how to quell and control the nausea. And after all, it's hard to be selfish when taking care of the man who, at the height of my out-of-control pregnancy sickness, literally picked me up off the bathroom floor (several times!) and who would still snuggle with me even when the sweatshirt I'd been wearing for 3 days smelled a bit like throw-up. Taking care of him is the best sort of pay back.
The truth is, all of this caretaking is really what a day celebrating mothers (and women in general--which is how I've always viewed Mother's day) is all about. Women are born with an innate sense of care taking and concern, as well as an ability to nurture. Perhaps it is when these innate gifts go unused that we are most frustrated. Although women sometimes get tired, and sometimes that unselfish serving maxes us out, I feel we are truly at our best when in the service of someone who needs us.
What a great reminder today of what it's all about.
Comments
You inspire me Lizzy. I love you.
Trent, if you were a mother, I'd a' bought you pepto for a gift.
Seriously, I love the Trent. And the Liz. And I think you're going to be one amazing mom!
I just read Trish's blog about the sisters,friends comment. Let it be said that I echo so many of her feelings about you. What I miss the most about Utah is my lizzy. You are full of light, wisdom, and love. I love you!