Family Update - by the Husband





Well, once in awhile, it might be worthwhile to hear the Husband's side of the story. So, Liz went into the hospital. She hurt a lot. We were there a long time and I got hungry, but I couldn't go out because, well, you know, it might hurt Liz's feelings and I might miss something, like another contraction. So, like 45 hours passed. Then, they swooshed her into another room, just two seconds after she got to the verge of falling apart and I had run out of things to say like, "I'm sure they'll give you something for the pain soon" or "sorry 'bout your life, right now" or "what? I thought you wanted children...." So, then, I fell asleep waiting for them to come get me and put me in that white cotton suit that reminds me of those dudes at the end of ET who come to get the alien. Yeah. That's sort of what it felt like. Then, the doctors came and rushed me in, apologizing that they forgot about me. That's okay, though. They had a lot on there minds. Finally, I saw my beautiful wife, splayed out on the bed with a thousand doctors reaching in and around her. The next thing I know, they've pulled this child out of nowhere, sucked some stuff out of her nose and mouth, and then she was breathing. Then, ... well, you know, we had a baby and the day ended.


But seriously, all kidding aside, seeing your first child for the first time, there is something so tender, so precious, so sweet that wells up inside me. You want to protect her, to hold her, to love her. ... And, then, she starts crying and you just want to give her to Mom.


So, we've been so blessed with help that Liz let me out of the house this weekend and I went to the 'Daks (that's Adirondacks for all of you who aren't in the know... and, the "Adirondacks" are the mountains in Upstate New York, for all of you who don't have a clue.... and, mountains in UpState New York are only about half the size of real mountains out west, for all of you Mormon snobs... but, they're just as beautiful, for all of you peacemakers who want to be sure everything is appreciated... that's me.) It was one of the best trips I've had. We hiked through the rain, mud, and mist to get to the top of the mountain so that we could see more rain, mud, and mist. Fantastic.
Honestly, to be in the 'Daks in the fall? There is nowhere I'd rather be. Except, up in the 'Daks in the fall with my wife and baby... next year.

Comments

Anaise said…
This was a great report on the day! :) I laughed--and I love to start my day with a laugh. We are about to have some fine fall foliage in Missouri, too. I so enjoy autumn.
. said…
Oh Trent--YOU ARE A FUNNY MAN! Glad to hear you're really taking to the whole "daddy" thing!
Seriously, I LOVE that you got out into your happy spaces. I know how happy it makes you!
Camille said…
I just sat here and had myself a sniggle fest. HILARIOUS!! Oh Trent, why ya gotta be soooo funny?
AD said…
what a great post. you should seriously submit it to the blog book that the "navel gazing at its finest" blogger is putting together. really, truly you should. but it has to be submitted on Sept 30. there is a link to that blog on trish's site.

you are adorable. i'm so glad liz married you.
Dangcutekids said…
What a sweet wife to let you out of the house for a trip to the Daks. I've still never been. Next time, you better call me and the boys up to tag along. You are a funny blogger. Keep it up!
Kristy said…
I like this Trent...you should guest post more often. I can totally imagine that that's EXACTLY how the DAD sees the day of birthing a baby. And the day out looks like such a wonderful day!
Diane said…
Glad to get the male side of the delivery story!
Karina said…
I'm pulling in Steve to read this one! But I know what he'll say. "I'm telling you, your family could make money off of their blogging efforts!" Not that Steve cares about money (sorta wish he did), but he thinks your blogs are great as great as I do:-)

Popular posts from this blog

In Singapore Now

For Thad

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...