Get to steppin'
I bought some new running shoes a couple of days ago. They're cute (because that DOES matter) and they're comfy (that REALLY matters). I've been thinking about my shoes. They're just so new and pristine and white and unspoiled. And I just couldn't wait to put them on.
They call to me, my shoes. They say, "Lizzy, come run with me. Come, get out of the house, and run like the wind. Run like you used to, mile after mile. Run until everything is purged out of you and you feel like you're flying..."
You might not believe me, but that's what a good run feels like. It's the ultimate catharsis. It always sucks the first mile or two, but then some kind of happy drug takes over and your body just clicks into gear and you can run and run and run. It's amazing. You can feel how strong your body is and your mind will never be clearer as you look around at the beautiful scenery surrounding you.
A good run will remind you that God is in his heaven and all is right with the world.
Once upon a time I ran half marathons and 10Ks and Canyon races. I even did a triathlon, but hated the open water swim (especially when I found out that people had DROWNED in that ugly green murky thing they had the audacity to call a pond) and swore I'd never do another...nevertheless, running gives me a feeling of accomplishment and strength like nothing else I've ever done.
My goal for every race has always been the same: to finish. The feeling of accomplishment and triumph after crossing the finish line is indescribable: it's such a rush of adrenaline and triumph that you find yourself quickly looking for the next race so you can do it again.
I haven't run for over a year and I have missed it. Last night I stepped trepidatiously (is that a word? If it isn't, I just invented it) on the treadmill. I was much slower than I've ever been and I had to stop and walk twice...but I finished and I felt proud.
Me and my shoes got some work to do.
They call to me, my shoes. They say, "Lizzy, come run with me. Come, get out of the house, and run like the wind. Run like you used to, mile after mile. Run until everything is purged out of you and you feel like you're flying..."
You might not believe me, but that's what a good run feels like. It's the ultimate catharsis. It always sucks the first mile or two, but then some kind of happy drug takes over and your body just clicks into gear and you can run and run and run. It's amazing. You can feel how strong your body is and your mind will never be clearer as you look around at the beautiful scenery surrounding you.
A good run will remind you that God is in his heaven and all is right with the world.
Once upon a time I ran half marathons and 10Ks and Canyon races. I even did a triathlon, but hated the open water swim (especially when I found out that people had DROWNED in that ugly green murky thing they had the audacity to call a pond) and swore I'd never do another...nevertheless, running gives me a feeling of accomplishment and strength like nothing else I've ever done.
My goal for every race has always been the same: to finish. The feeling of accomplishment and triumph after crossing the finish line is indescribable: it's such a rush of adrenaline and triumph that you find yourself quickly looking for the next race so you can do it again.
I haven't run for over a year and I have missed it. Last night I stepped trepidatiously (is that a word? If it isn't, I just invented it) on the treadmill. I was much slower than I've ever been and I had to stop and walk twice...but I finished and I felt proud.
Me and my shoes got some work to do.
Comments
Maybe not.
But I truly admire all of you runners and love that you are working hard at getting back to something you love.
Way to go, ambitious woman.
My mom will probably really enjoy this post--she and I have been talking about all the family runners and wondering just what it is that makes you all train and compete and just keep running. I guess I should understand--being in water makes me feel like all is right with the world--I just haven't had a chance to swim kidless for years. :)
But, honestly, doesn't having given birth kind of compete with running for giving you a "sense of accomplishment and strength"?
Hope you and your shoes enjoy the work ahead.
I just can't believe how different each of our experiences are with childbirth! It's incredible! You're amazing!