Divine Choreography

Yesterday was Trent's birthday and in celebration of the big event I put together a slideshow thingie called "Trent, THIS IS YOUR LIFE." It was pretty awesome and you're probably a little sad you missed it, but if you ever want to stop by to visit, I'll show it to you.

In the throes of preparing for it, I ran across these two pictures. They are of me and Trent, taken in 1988, right as we were about to begin our Freshman year of high school. Yes, there is so much (so very, very much) to discuss about these photos--the least of which is that Trent's hair is rivaling mine in size and shape--however, I can't ever look at these photographs without a couple of deep thoughts coming to my mind.

Trent and I went to the same high school. We probably stood in the same line at freshman orientation to get our pictures. It was 20 years ago and I was just 14 years old and the man I married was standing right by me.

In fact, for all of high school, he was by my side. I just didn't know it. Well, that is to say, I knew him, and he knew me, but did we think we were going to fall in love and get married and move across the country and have kids together? Never once crossed our minds. Ever.


We have it on pretty good authority that we sat by each other in AP English (I say that because our friends sort of remember us sitting by one another, but we can't quite recall it ourselves. Unless, he's that guy that turned around and told me and Jenny Reeder to please be quiet. I have a vague memory of some blonde kid doing that. Snotty boy). We both remember being at the State Championship football game and running out onto the field when our school won. We can recall the choir concerts and the school plays. We just have no memories of experiencing them with one another.

It's sort of an amazing story. I searched high and low for the man of my dreams. It took me a little longer than I originally anticipated to find him. And yet, he was there all along. When we finally met via my best friend Steffani who recognized him as 'the one' the moment she saw him at a choir reunion and set us up on a 'blind' date --I found out he lived less than 3 miles from me. Like I said before, I was searching all over and he was right in front of me.

So, I can't help but look at these pictures of our little 14 year old selves and want to whisper to them (particularly to me): "He's right there. Right in front of you. Keep the faith. You'll find him when the time is right and it will be perfect. So hold on for a little while. It's okay."

That's the best part of seeing the circles of grace in our lives come complete. What we can't see or understand today, someday we will. And we will marvel at the divine choreography that made it all work out for the best.

And in the end, we do live happily ever after. With awesome hair.


Comments

Judy Francisco said…
This started out kinda funny and I prepared myself for a good laugh--then ended up crying. How'd you do that? I'm going to print this out and keep it on the shelf with my serendipity-type movies like 'Sleepless in Seattle,' 'You've Got Mail,' and 'The Butcher's Wife.' I LOVE this kind of stuff! But YOUR story, being REAL LIFE, is, of course, better than the rest...
El Jefe said…
I have a compilation of love songs you should hear. They typify the love and romance of...love and romance. Seriously, so blessed.
Camille said…
So speshal.

Seriously, I either laugh or cry with each post. this was no different. I did both.

I'm so jealous of your hair.

Happy Birthday big bro!
xoxo
Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don't come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come.

Love that.
Blondie said…
Hey, I remember those kids!

I won't comment on the hair (although I REALLY want to).

I'm so glad you guys found each other!
Steffani said…
Beautiful! And I'm so glad you have awesome hair--NOW! It really is amazing that he was there all along. Cam was there too and I can't wait until I die to go and watch the videos of Timpview high school. If only I could go back and ask him to dance and give him some hints about our future life together. You know, it's kind of like Somewhere in Time, isn't it? I would walk up to him and instead of giving him a watch, I'd hand him a bottle of our homemade salsa and say, "come find me, pedro." JK. Seriously, though, I am so happy you ended up together and I'm so happy that I got to play a small part in it. I love reading your stuff. You are such a great writer.
Good Carma said…
The best things in life are worth the wait and more precious to those who don't give up or give in too soon. I too love happy ever after stories.
jweed said…
loving the pictures, liz. i wish that the hairstyles from when we were 14 were back in style. so much easier to deal with, right? anyway, what a fantastic story. you and trent look better together than apart. :) p.s. thanks for the great phone chat. loved it.
AD said…
Ditto Judy.

Loved this.
. said…
I'm so glad you found each other. I love you both. And your hair.
(And can we please talk about the fact that you are just days older than Maddy in that picture? Where does the time go? I feel so ooooold!)
Karina said…
I think those pictures are gorgeous. Most people don't look that good at 14...and in a public school picture.

I'm so happy for you.
jensey said…
Okay I am laughing so hard at Steffani's salsa/pedro comment. Prop's on that one! I loved the entry, and I had to comment to mock trent for the hair....and yes, he out did not only himself, but you when it came to the hair. Please pass along my mocking:) Sure miss you guys!
Anaise said…
Scott and I experienced much the same thing--we are only 6 weeks apart in age, and we lived in the same stake, attending the same activities, dances, graduations, piano recitals, etc., for 17 years. We had friends in common, and our siblings were friends. We never met each other! Ever! Then we went our separate ways for another number of years, only to meet when the time was right!

Here's to miracles!
Carla said…
What a beautiful love story! You and Trent are darling together.
Jen said…
Left me crying again. I know shocking.

Popular posts from this blog

In Singapore Now

For Thad

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...