Culture Club

During the school year I tutored a girl from Sri Lanka. Her life fascinates me. At home, Ayisha lives in the world of Sri Lanka, where Tamal is spoken at the dinner table and her mother dresses in beautiful saris and the house smells of incense. At school she lives in the good old USofA where English is spoken in such rapid fire that it sometimes leaves her feeling dizzy. Ayisha doesn't speak the native tongue of her parents; she wasn't born in Sri Lanka. However, Ayisha doesn't speak English fluently, either. She stumbles on pronouns and mixes her tenses in ways that remind me of a typical ESL student. Sometimes I worry about her. She seems lost in the culture of America, yet equally lost in the culture of Sri Lanka.

After three weeks in Utah, I surprised myself more than once by feeling confused, discombobulated, and even out of place here. Now wait just one darn second, I've said to myself. I was born and raised here. This is my home. This is who I am. Or is it?

As I was walking through the gorgeous green hillsides of the Utah State University Campus, pondering this cognitive dissonance (I think that's the phrase I'm looking for to describe how I'm feeling), I had a moment where I felt a sense of perfect empathy for Ayisha, the girl trapped in between two cultures who, as a result, isn't quite sure who she is right now.

Who Am I? New York Liz? Utah Liz? They feel like two different people. I've been particularly confused as I've sat for hours in classes on multiculturalism and diversity (this semester's course topic). I've been startled at how different I feel from my classmates, how out of place I feel, how different my opinions are from theirs. Is this what 2 years in New York will do to a person? I've wondered. I'm still wondering that.

For a couple of days I tried on Utah Liz again, assimilating in as best I could, pretending that my experience and my opinions were those of the majority of my classmates. But they were not. And the pretending was making me miserable. I turned to Trent (of course I did). We hammered it out in long drawn out phone conversations. At one point he said, (in so many words), "If New York Liz were to talk to Utah Liz, what would she say to her?"

Ah, a profound question, indeed. New York Liz would tell her Utah counterpart to stop pretending and to be herself.
I spent the last several days of class doing just that. I smiled through the raised eyebrows of one sweet sister from Brigham City who I'm sure didn't have the foggiest idea what I was talking about. I jumped in with both feet during a class role play where I assumed the role of Maya, a Muslim girl from Pakistan, who I had taught. I laughed merrily at the guy who told me he was "sorry" to hear I was orginally from Provo and said, "I actually feel sorry for you if you hate Provo. You don't know what you're missing" (and I hope it came out less condescending than it appears right now).
In short, I tried to be me, even though I'm still not sure how much of me is New York and how much of me is Utah. Maybe I'm just a little bit of both. Utah is where I'm from, and for right now, New York is home.

Comments

Judy Francisco said…
Oh, this is excellent. I experience this kind of dissonance all the time in the various roles I play--asking, Which is the real me, NOT a role I PLAY? I don't know...

Loved your response about Provo...
Camille said…
I love both Lizzys. That's fer sher.

I think we all feel this at different times in life. I'm just glad I get to have the best of both worlds.

xo

ps did you bust that guys chiffarobe or what?
. said…
I actually find that really interesting. If I'd had to guess, I would say that you would jump right back into things back home, as if you'd never left.
Now I think it's kind of cool that you find such changes going on in your head. Although I would bet they've always been there and New York just gave you permission to say them out loud. And it's the not saying them out loud in Utah that just felt inconsistent. I don't know. I'm glad you gave yourself such good advice! (Love that Trent!)
Diane said…
I feel the same way with the Ellen or Diane names I go by. Ellen feels like a different person than Diane. Very interesting.
Anaise said…
And then I'll bet you'll go home to NY and feel a little bit lost for a few minutes before you settle back joyfully and thankfully into the life you're building.

I still think of myself as a California girl, and take a little bit of foolish pride in that fact, but my heart and my home are now in the Midwest. It takes multiple parts of me to make me whole.

I think it's fun that your summer school is proving stimulating and educational beyond the classroom.
AD said…
What a fabulous post! Loved the fact that Trent helped you sort it all out...it's sad but true to say that I rarely turn to Jon to do my self-sorting anymore...it's always to Maddy or McKelle that I turn now. I don't know. Jon has so much on his plate and he's heard ad nauseum about the struggles that seem to have haunted me for decades. Hmmm. I miss those days of deep, soul-searching conversation. I hope you never lose it. Thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)