A little good news today

Have you been following the news about this man?

How, in less than three days time, he now looks like this?


His name is Ted Williams. His story is all over the web. And as I listened to him this morning on the Today show, I found I had a grin on my face that was a mile wide. Obviously, given the amount of coverage his story is getting, I'm not the only person in America whose heart is warmed by seeing this man, who was panhandling on the streets just this Sunday, now given a new lease on life.

Before we take a walk down fairy tale lane, the pragmatic side of me says that perhaps there will ultimately be some sort of tarnish to his tale. Maybe I worry (just a little) because stories like this sometimes seem too good to be true. And yet, during his interview this morning (which was at times awkward in such an endearing sort of way--he can't hold back the tears when talking about his mother, the years of drug abuse and homelessness have led to some awkward physical movement, and so on) a couple of things were so impressive to me that I feel like he's going to be okay (and the fact that he's most likely going to make it, that he'll be one that will rebound back, is what makes me the most happy).

The first thing that really impresses me about this man is, of course, what he calls his God-given talent. Hearing him speak literally is jaw-dropping. Whether he was homeless or lived in a mansion, when someone has such an obvious talent, it's impressive.

The second thing that impressed me was his utter devotion to God and his unabashed yet humble professing of the influence of a higher power in his life. When Matt Lauer asked him this morning if he felt like this time he would make it, Ted Williams said yes, he thought so. When Matt pressed for a reason why this time would be different, Ted Williams said he now knew God, and that his faith would see him through. He spoke with such a sincere conviction that I believed him. In fact, I think his words and example are the very definition of how faith creates miracles.

Lastly, I was impressed by his civility. If you watch the video that is circulating, his polite demeanor is as apparent as his incredible voice. I've seen him do several interviews and the response from reporters is all the same: he's so polite, humble, and respectful. They asked him this morning where that civility came from and Ted Williams said he had been taught by his mother to always follow the golden rule--to treat others the way he would want to be treated.

Remember that old Anne Murray song where she says, "I sure could use/A little good news/Today"? That's how I feel at hearing this story. It's nice to hear good news.

Comments

Judy said…
Yes, I've been following this story! I identify with him--attributing the turn for good in his life to God. Thanks for this.
. said…
I hadn't heard any of this! I looked it up just now--what a fascinating story. I love to see people get a second chance at a happy life. Thanks for sharing this!
Camille said…
I was watching the Today show yesterday, too, and was just crying. I am such a wreck! I love second chances. I watched this morning, too, and his mom and her stress about how bad it all made her look made me sad. the look on his face was begging for therapy.

I'm so glad you saw this, too.

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)