'ello, 'ow are 'ou?

So, I've been working on some much needed projects in my basement. Since I'm really not a do-it-yourself-er, and since Trent won't touch a power tool with a ten foot pole, I look for people who will help me on the bigger projects I can't figure out (a shout out now to my brother-in-law, Alfer, who thought he was coming for a vacation and ended up doing three or four "projects" for me--woo hooo Alfer!); then once I've exhausted all those options, I figure it out myself.

Of course, that means I'm spending a lot of quality time of late at the Home Depot. And because I spend a lot of time at the HD, I seem to run into the same HD workers on an almost weekly basis. I would think they'd remember me, because I remember them, but I never get a flicker of recognition from their happy, helpful faces.

I've run into one guy in particular about five times this month. He always asks me if I'm interested in some sort of water program they've got going on. I know, Home Depot probably doesn't have a water program, but that is about the extent of how much I understand what it is he is selling. Also, I know Trent has talked to him a couple of times and given his water program pitch a good listen; I also know that for whatever reason, it won't work at our house.

So, he usually approaches me and I smile and say something like, "yes, I'm aware of the program; yes, we've given it a try; thanks so much but no thank you not at this time have a good day bye bye" and that is the end of our conversation. Usually.

Today was different.

After he approached and I said my typical response and he looked at me without a hint of recognition and I began to walk away, he said, "Can I just tell you one more thing that is totally unrelated to what we just talked about?"

Now, that's enough to make one a little nervous. "Um,..." I said,

He said, "Can you believe that you are the fourth person with a British Accent I have spoken to this hour!" His face was completely serious, wearing an expression something akin to, is that a totally amazing piece of information or what?!

Huh?

My mind swirled for a minute. A British accent? Me? Um. No, not so much.

He looked at me as though waiting for my response. I wondered momentarily if I should fake a British accent so he didn't feel bad. I wondered next if I should keep talking so he figured out that I didn't have an accent. But then I didn't want to embarrass him. So, I just shook my head in an attempt to appear sympathetic with his disbelief. Then I think I said, "Wow." And he said, "I know, is that crazy?! You all are just coming in droves to this area, I guess!" I said, "Wow!" again and then started to walk away as he did the same, wishing me a good day.

I fought the urge to say, "God Bless Us, Everyone!" ala Tiny Tim. Instead, I just walked over to the lighting section, leaned my head on a pillar, and laughed my fool head off.

PS Can you name the movie that the title of this post comes from?

Comments

Camille said…
I know the movie but cant think of it right now...erghhhh

I freakin' love where you live even more!

and I need some more Wegmen cookies puhlease.
Anaise said…
That is so so so so so funny!

And no, I cannot name the movie the title of your post comes from.
Rhyetta Musser said…
Well, I would guess Mary Poppins.
Judy said…
Or My Fair Lady. Cheerio.
Jake and Julie said…
Hilarious. I can relate to your anxiety about seeing the same workers at HD all the time. When Jake and I were fixing up the house last year, I would get embarrassed about purchasing and returning so many items. There came a point when I refused to return anything to one of the workers and waited until Jake could do it.
No guess on the movie.
Jen said…
Oh, so funny! I'm laughing my fool head off!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Liz and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad...

For Thad

Facebook is for extroverts (and other observations of an introvert)