Princess Smackdown
A couple of months ago I introduced Lillian to the Disney classic movie Sleeping Beauty. It is safe to say, without hyperbole, her life has never been the same. She has, in fact, walked around in a sort of Sleeping Beauty intoxication ever since (By the way, Lillian calls Sleeping Beauty "Dream." She calls her Dream because of the song, "I know you/I walked with you once upon a dream.") . Since seeing Dream for the first time, Lillian spends her days asking to watch "Dream show" or asking Trent or me to "Sing Dream" or singing the song herself whilst dancing with various stuffed animals.
Yes. It is awesome.
It is awesome because, among other hilarious things she does, Lillian will come running in to wherever I'm hanging out, holding aloft her Polly Pocket Sleeping Beauty, yelling in a very loud voice, "I GOT A DREAM MOM, I GOT A DREAM!"
That's when my sardonic self takes over and I fight the urge to say, "Yes, honey, so did Martin Luther King."
Recently, we introduced Lillian to Disney's Cinderella and Snow White. While Princess Aurora does seem to hold a special place in her heart, Snow White and Cinderella have proven to be equally enchanting. In fact, Lillian calls them "Dream," too. In the past week, however, she has made attempts to distinguish between her three Dreams.
They are:
1. "Pink Dream"

This of course, is Sleeping Beauty, taken from the part where the fairies fight over Sleeping Beauty's dress with "Make it pink! No! Make it blue!"
2. "Ah-ha-ha Dream"

We gather Lillian took this name from Snow White's stunning aria at the wishing well
3. "Relly-relly Dream"

A line borrowed from the mice singing "Cinderelly Cinderelly."
As we engaged full throttle in the princess extravaganza raging at our house, Trent and I have begun to discuss who the best princess of the bunch is.
\Now, you could take that two ways. Either you might think it's time to get a life, to which I would respond that we had one for a lot of years and princess debates are still more fun than the best singles ward activity I ever attended; or you might be interested to join our debate. In either case, I now would like to invite your commentary.
Initially, my vote was with Sleeping Beauty, since I think she's the prettiest. But then I watched Cinderella and I fell in love with her goodness and kindness (and she even has a bit of sass). Once you get over Snow White's trilly shrilly voice, she's got merits of her own. Of course, we haven't even gotten started, since Belle and Ariel and even Pocohantas are still waiting in the wings for their turn to be the apple of Lillian's eye.
So, dear friends, what do you think? Who is the best princess of the bunch and why?
Let us know. In the meantime we'll be singing our songs, dancing our dances, and living our dreams.
Comments
I'm still partial to her--especially Barbara McClintock's Cinderella.
P.S. Once you go through the Disney princesses, there's a whole line of Barbie princesses to enjoy. :)
P.P.S You've simply got to find and fall in love with Barbara McClintock's Dahlia--not a princess, but one of the most charming little girl books in the entire world.
Shhhh, I don't like any of them. They all bug me. Am I just jealous, you ask? I think I'm missing a gene. I've never been into them, I've never dreamed like a princess, and even with my little girls enjoying them, I still can't seem to like them.
I'm going to take a poll of Anaise's girls...
I miss Lillian muy mucho and sing dream all the time now.