Utah Top Ten
It's time once again for the Top Ten Events/Moments/Memories of my trip to Utah. Are you ready to read how awesome it was?
#10 Getting my hair done.
I got off the plane at 11:15 p.m. By 7:30 a.m. the next morning I was in the chair at the hair stylists. And just so you know (just so you know), when I got back to New York, a friend looked at my hair and said, "That's a Utah highlight, isn't it." I said, "why yes. Yes it is."
This is proof that there is a difference. Perhaps if you haven't been out east long-term, you might not know what I'm talking about. Just believe me on this: when it comes to hair, Utah wins hands down.
And remember when I said I wouldn't write any more about my hair? I lied.
#9 Photo shoot with Sara.
Um, the real question is, why would anyone NOT want this woman as a photographer? It's just a bonus that she's my sister. She's awesome.
Check out our photo shoot here. Awwwww.
#8 Hiking Rock Canyon
The thing about Utah that we miss the most is our family and friends. The thing we miss second most is our beloved mountains. While on our vacation we took a hike through our beloved mountains. Seeing views like this made me burst into that John Denver song, "You fill up my senses/like the mountains in spring time...." These mountains comfort me, they rejuvenate me, they restore my soul.
#7 Favorite restaurants


#1 There's no place like home.
Everybody needs a soft place to fall now and then. For me, that place will always be Provo, Utah. I love it for its quirks and for its kindnesses. I love the people, perhaps more than ever. This year, I found myself wanting to cling to each familiar face I saw. I hugged each friend and family member tightly, trying to drink in every bit of them, perhaps so I could bring a part of it back to New York with me.
And now I am home, refreshed and invigorated. We're heading into what Trent and I like to call our best season, our best time of year. There's festivals and farmer's markets and a whole lot more waiting for us.
It's gonna be good.
PS Tune in tomorrow for a post about my wonderful extended family. I got to see them all on this trip. Spending time with beloved aunts, uncles, and cousins was more than a top ten list; it was life changing.
#10 Getting my hair done.
I got off the plane at 11:15 p.m. By 7:30 a.m. the next morning I was in the chair at the hair stylists. And just so you know (just so you know), when I got back to New York, a friend looked at my hair and said, "That's a Utah highlight, isn't it." I said, "why yes. Yes it is."
This is proof that there is a difference. Perhaps if you haven't been out east long-term, you might not know what I'm talking about. Just believe me on this: when it comes to hair, Utah wins hands down.
And remember when I said I wouldn't write any more about my hair? I lied.
#9 Photo shoot with Sara.
Um, the real question is, why would anyone NOT want this woman as a photographer? It's just a bonus that she's my sister. She's awesome.
Check out our photo shoot here. Awwwww.
#8 Hiking Rock Canyon
The thing about Utah that we miss the most is our family and friends. The thing we miss second most is our beloved mountains. While on our vacation we took a hike through our beloved mountains. Seeing views like this made me burst into that John Denver song, "You fill up my senses/like the mountains in spring time...." These mountains comfort me, they rejuvenate me, they restore my soul.
#7 Favorite restaurants
I've written about them before; I will write about them again. For me, Magleby's Fresh on a Saturday morning in Provo is like walking into Cheers...because sometimes you gotta go where everybody knows your name.

#6 Provo Temple
The best view in Utah County can be seen at the Provo Temple. Standing at those grounds and looking out westward (especially at sunset), you get a view of the whole valley, aglow in the warm gold of the sunshine. After church on Sunday, our family walked over to the temple where Lillian enjoyed the water fountain and pointed excitedly at "Ji-Ji-temple-house"(She calls Jesus, "Ji-Ji". According to her, He lives in the temple. It's too cute to be sacreligious, and she came up with it all on her own. Cute.)
#5 Cute clothes
#4 The Fourth of July just got extended by three days!
On Monday, we went up to Sara's for some good old barbecue and fireworks in the front yard. The best part of it all was that seven of my mom's kids were there with their children. It was perfect. Can you see Lillian and Trent through the haze of smoke?

The dress I'm wearing in this picture (and in the photo shoot with Sara) comes from DownEast basics. My sister Trish and I went into that store one Saturday afternoon and didn't come out for a long time. I was wild with delight. The good news is, their clothes are available on line. You all probably knew that already. I'm pretty stoked about it
#4 The Fourth of July just got extended by three days!
My favorite holiday is the 4th of July. The only thing better than one day of celebrating is THREE WHOLE DAYS of celebrating. With the holiday on a Sunday, Provo did it right by having the Freedom Festival extend all weekend long. We enjoyed Stadium of Fire (Sing it with me, "STADIUM OF FIRE! STADIUM OF FIRE!) on Saturday night with Carrie Underwood. I just said that like Carrie and I are best friends. Ah, well, we probably would be, if she weren't so intimidated by my good looks and winning personality. 
On Monday, we went up to Sara's for some good old barbecue and fireworks in the front yard. The best part of it all was that seven of my mom's kids were there with their children. It was perfect. Can you see Lillian and Trent through the haze of smoke?
#3 High School Reunion, two years early
My sister Trish joined me in Provo so that she could attend her 20 year high school reunion. I got to go along as her date. The part I hadn't counted on was seeing so many friends there. Timpview people have a way of marrying Timpview people, so I enjoyed the reunion with some of my very best friends.
#2 Freedom Festival 10K/5 K
Monday morning found me standing at the starting line of the Freedom Festival 5K. It's been three years since I ran my last race; I'd forgotten how exhilirating and addicting these races can be.
The race began under a crystal clear blue sky, dotted with hot air balloons. The national anthem played. People ran with American Flags. I ran into friends that I haven't seen for years. I didn't run fast, but I ran strong, and I loved every minute of that race.
#1 There's no place like home.
Everybody needs a soft place to fall now and then. For me, that place will always be Provo, Utah. I love it for its quirks and for its kindnesses. I love the people, perhaps more than ever. This year, I found myself wanting to cling to each familiar face I saw. I hugged each friend and family member tightly, trying to drink in every bit of them, perhaps so I could bring a part of it back to New York with me.
And now I am home, refreshed and invigorated. We're heading into what Trent and I like to call our best season, our best time of year. There's festivals and farmer's markets and a whole lot more waiting for us.
It's gonna be good.
PS Tune in tomorrow for a post about my wonderful extended family. I got to see them all on this trip. Spending time with beloved aunts, uncles, and cousins was more than a top ten list; it was life changing.
Comments
I seriously want to come and babysit you when Trent leaves in October. What were the dates again? I would like to look for some cheap flights. What's a good deal?
Steffani
I'm glad I ran into you at the race. Hope to see you there next year!
(And your family photos are AMAZING. The one with you dancing on the bridge is particularly sweet.)
You are beautiful!
What a fun trip you had--and I did check out your family pictures--they are to die for!